VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a large number of home video clips in WMV format. I would like to be able to change the correct metadata tag so that Media Player or other playback tools would let me sort and organize my WMV files according to the date recorded rather than the date created. I can edit a "date created" in ADOBE Bridge wich apparently writes it to an IPTC header. This doesn't get picked up in Media Player though. Media Player seems to have Release Year and a "Recorded Date" metadata tag which must be coming from somewhere else. I would like this field to be edited in the actual WMV file rather in some data base so that I can move files between computers.

There's got to be something already. Alternatively a Media Player-like device that would allow me to sort and organize video clips, create playlists would be a possibility? Any suggestions.

Thanks much
    Axel
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Windows Media Encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thans. Yes. The Media File Editor that comes with Encoder Only lets you change Title and Author. Not date.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is another program, but it hasn't been updated in some time, called dSharpie. I don't create or use wmv files, so I don't know if it will meet your needs, but it might be worth a look. A Google search will find a download site.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Already tried that. Lets me change the Release Year but nothing else
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could try a combination of ASFViewer and a hex editor. Use the ASFviewer to find the GUID and approximate placement and the hex editor (with search on the GUID #) to find the exact placement and layout, and then edit the codes (remember to not change the byte length). A bit rough and roundabout, but it should work.

Scott
    Quote Quote