VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray Burner with LTH media support and wonder if anyone has suggestions as to make & model of drives. The second question is the LTH as reliable as the HTL media? I know Verbatim makes them. I did look under DVD Recorders on the left but no check box for LTH support. Thanks
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LTH and HTL is not related to DVD.

I would grab a Pioneer BDR 205.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not buy LTH blu ray media!! Very unreliable, even the Verbatim brand. Inconsistent burns and inconsistent playback in standalone blu ray players. Stick with regular BD-R media such as verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mobie29 View Post
    Do not buy LTH blu ray media!! Very unreliable, even the Verbatim brand. Inconsistent burns and inconsistent playback in standalone blu ray players. Stick with regular BD-R media such as verbatim.
    Since when is the a section related to STANDALONES or do we even talk about such ones???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    LTH and HTL is not related to DVD.

I would grab a Pioneer BDR 205.
    I would second the Pioneer BDR 205. Also, don't cheap out on the media, use the regular HTL, MUCH better disc and the price isn't bad either.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used a pioneer BDR-203 for over a year, and although I don't burn as many blu-rays as DVDs, the ones I've done with this drive are superb. I LOVE the fact that if you put anything 4x or higher in it, it will burn it at 8x (blu-ray single layer discs for that) If plextor had a burner out at the time I was shopping, I would have given them serious consideration as I've trusted their DVD burner line for years, but pioneer has proven to me they know what they're doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @funnel71,

Plextor BD burners are Pioneer rebadges.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK, Pioneer. Thanks for the Information. I was hoping that the Verbatim LTH would be good as it is cheaper.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well I looked around and Newegg has the Pioneer BDR 205 @ $189.99 vs LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM $109.99 Free 3D software, glasses and BD media, ends 10/31 which was showing $99.99 Sunday. I read the user reviews And the Pioneer had good reviews if I excluded the several where the drive stopped working prematurely. The LG had a couple of DOAs . Since I'm dipping my toes into the BR waters and plan to use it for data backups with imgburn as I do not have a BluRay player. I decided to try the LG as with two 10packs of Verbatim HTL media it was cheaper than the Pioneer drive only. I ordered Sunday with 3 day shipping and it was delivered today here at work. It is a little puzzling to me with the included software. Two discs one Ver. 1.1a and the other Ver.1.2a and they seem to have the same software. PowerDVD, Power2go, media show, power producer, & Youcam. I'm not sure if I want to bother installing any of that as I always use imgburn for burning DVDs. OEM drive, it comes with software, SATA Data cable & a Molex to SATA power cable adaptor. I normally would expect a OEM drive to be drive only.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    ^If you plan on watching commercial blu ray disks with your computer you'll need appropriate software for that. The version of PowerDVD that is included with the LG drives is slightly crippled in regard to audio (or was when I last checked), but will work ok for playback otherwise.

ImgBurn is the right choice for burning.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I Thought it wouldn't work right without a HDCP Display card and monitor?

I use my TV set as a monitor via VGA cable.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    You'd need either AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey running in the background if your equipment isn't HDCP compatible. DVDFab Passkey is free to download and use while it is still in beta.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I plan on trying DVDFab Passkey tonight since I now have a BluRay disc to play with.
    Quote Quote