VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I agree that you should capture as 720p, I've tried it both ways. Maybe someone can give a good explanation as to why the result is so much better, but empirically, I've found it to be so. And yeah, for a lot of channels, the bitrate is too damn low. My ComCast HD cable box is a Motorola, I forget the model number.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  2. My cable box, a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC, is set up to output whatever the source signal is. If I force it to 720p it performs a blend deinterlace of interlaced sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. A lot of my cuts have pixelation or some weird kind of corruption. T
    I dont' know if you resolved your issues, but..

..this technique might help you in your cuts.. if you demux the stream, either to raw or a new .ts source, then feed that into your favorite cutter, that might help give you better (cleaner) cuts, i think. At least this is what I used to do with troubled sources, when I had them. Sometimes, the writer program does a flaky job creating the container and refreshing it into a new one does the fix. Its an extra step, but might be worth it if it does fix your flaky sources.

Course, if the issue is still not resolveable, then its more than likely that the source (siginal) was glitchy during that time/spot in the clip and the area closest to the "I" frame is not as easily recoverable. Unfortunately, this is the most troubles to deal with in HD, lack of signal strength or receiver not clever enough to decode sluggish signal sources.

This is what we have to look forward to in HD. On the flip side, with analog, we have noise.

-vhelp 5420
    Last edited by vhelp; 26th Sep 2010 at 20:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't do anything with these TS files once you've removed the commercials. Anything you do knocks the audio out of sync. I was able to crop and change the resolution with Virtualdub experimental and recode to 264/ac3 mkv to get a reasonably sized file instead of an 18GB file but yeah, it's out of sync but worse, when trying to demux and remux to try and fix the sync issues, suddenly my 2:50:44 file is 5:44 minutes long.

This is the industries new copy protection since most people won't spend the hours and days that it takes to try and get a finished file. There is very little software that will handle this and most of them are worthless at producing a finished file. There has to be timecodes for these ts files since they play fine in a ts container but the second you edit them and put them in a different container, nothing can read any kind of timecode. Seems like every single software that will handle these files either can't read them and gives errors trying to open them or they make up their own time codes. They change framerates on their own and downmix audio on their own. Either the video plays in slow motion or the audio framerate changes to 1200 fps.

I should've just stuck with analog cable and the Hauppauge 1800 instead of wasting my money on digital cable and this HD-PVR. It's just not worth all the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for responding late on this, and you prob already know this or have resolved it all.

When it comes to MPEG-2/H264, and cutting scenes out, you loose audio sync due to the issue with gop though h264 uses something different but the principals are simular--the pictures (slices/blocks) are spread out in parts across frames. The audio is somehow weaved in the frame via some timeing sync or something. If might be possible to reduce the latency of the sync issue by recording in shorter lengths, like 1/2 hr increments.

I have similary problem when I capture from my satelite using an intermediate codec by matrox, when using their MPEG-2, 4:2:2 codec, which provides much smaller filesize then DV and at greater color depth vs dv 4:1:1 sampling, but the drawback to the matrox codec is "lagging" which causes audio sync after 1/2 hr recording. Sometimes it works without sych past 1 hr and sometimes not, so I stop recording after 1/2 hr when commercial, which ever comes first.

So the only alternative is create a proxy (avisynth scripting after you demux a/v, you bring each piece into avisynth and process) or pseudo-avi through other means (makeAVIS* can do this, demux a/v, open avi in virtualdub and import the wav audio as well) then you will have proper sync'ed audio when you cut from the these pseudo avi's.

* I didn't see makeavis in the tools section, but it may be a part of a tool suite if memory serves me, but the suite escapes me.

Its more work and may not be your option but at least is available if you need it.

As for me, i still capture analog video though my directv satelite is digital, i capture from my DVR receiver, but when its something I want to recapture, I record it to my DVR (it records 100 hrs) and re-capture again later.

-vhelp 5423
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vhelp.makeavis.png
Views:	3154
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	3795  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thread bump alert!

I have the Hauppage HD PVR and need to install it on a new laptop. But can't find the disc. I found the drivers online at the Hauppage site, but need the Arcsoft TME software. Of course, that's not online.

Any suggestions for alternate recording software?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your post doesn't state whether you know this or not, so I'm going to mention it. Hauppauge makes it clear that they will be very happy to sell you a replacement install disc if you want to buy one from them. I think the cost is about $9-10.

One of the problems with the HD PVR and Colossus is that the capture software does not fully support the chipset's capabilities. For most people that's probably not an issue, but it does make me wonder why they deliberately underutilize the chip. For example, the chipset is capable of MPEG-2 recording and apparently audio formats other than AAC and AC3 (ONLY if you digitally capture an AC3 source) are also supported, but the capture software Hauppauge gives you can't do those. Alternatives are few and far between. Myth TV might work, but if it does you may have to run it under Linux. Hauppauge apparently has no issues with outsiders writing other capture programs and drivers but there seems to be little interest.

Laptops are not ideal for capturing video for a variety of reasons. They will NEVER be great choices for this task. However, if you have to use a laptop you have at least found one of the better options for doing so.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, this is mostly for my son to make video game capture videos. Not like I'm doing commercial work. I use my T2i for that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had to reload my ArcSoft Total Media extreme software. Now when I run the capture modual, the video parameter controls don't work. I remember from a couple of years ago I downloaded something to make them work but I can'r remember what. What do I do to make the capture modual video controls to work? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i suffered the same issue as you (in my case, tme would hang when i selected to change the capture device to any capture card) so i uninstalled tme since. there are three software suites i've been using since, graphedit, graphstudio and graphstudionext. all work fine except i still am unable to get a preview window while capturing. it will only capture. now, i am searching around for just a capture app for the hdpvr, not a suite, just a simple capture app, in hopes that it may provide me with a preview window during capturing. i'm also trying to code a dspack app to work with the hdpvr, so far i am unsucessfull. if i ever get that to work i will make a tiny utility to just preview/capture only, nothing fancy, and release it. windows xp, of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soon you all be able to use this new tool http://www.hauppauge.com/capture/ for now it only work with new HD-PVR 2 and Colossus you know there always Capture4ME
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestions. i did see the capture4me app. however, i don't use anything that requires .NET, too much trouble and space hoggers, have several versions on my pc now but none of the apps i've tried work. i'm still looking for something very small. anyway, thanks again.
    Quote Quote