VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm playing my JVC HR 9600 into a canopus 110 to capture vhs and s vhs using sony vegas in my PC.

I've already done four hours of tape using the "auto" mode for playback in the deck.
    I've read that "edit" mode would be better for playback. It would be sharper. I'm not getting any noise using edit mode.
    It looks similar,maybe a bit more detail.
    Do you think I need to redo the first tapes that I ran into the PC in auto mode over, or do you think the difference is minimal.
    both look pretty good.
    But I would really love to know what you pro's think. Will it make that much difference. Haven't really started to compare the results.

I would really appriciate a quick answer as my living room is filled with tapes and everything is hooked up. Im also playing it into a standalone video recorder for backup at the same time.

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to see an example of the difference between auto and edit settings on JVC VCRs, you might try checking this

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/226869-JVC-Picture-Settings-Auto-Edit-Soft-Sharp-(pictures)

Copy the pictures (edit and auto) and flip back and forth between them in an image viewing app.

Personally, I like edit better (a little more detail), but some people like auto better and it probably encodes to a slightly smaller file size.

It's actually pretty subtle, and I'm not sure if you would really notice much difference on your tv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always use Edit. I find Auto can smooth the video too much and destroy important details.

The only time I might consider using Auto is on cartoons that have noise in the flat areas.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrainStorm69 View Post
    Personally, I like edit better (a little more detail), but some people like auto better and it probably encodes to a slightly smaller file size.

It's actually pretty subtle, and I'm not sure if you would really notice much difference on your tv.
    Nothing subtle about it, BrainStorm. It's a matter of preference, of course, but for me the only way to go is Edit.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the JVC S-VHS HR-S3910U, a much older unit i believe.

And I agree, EDIT is prob your best setting to use during playback, for capture purposes.
    This mode will give you the most picture detail, including tape and equip noise, but this is user perceivable inho. And I prefer this mode over any other. I also believe that this mode gives the best performance when incorporating software noise reduction in the finished captures: capture->edit->sw-NR->encode, because the *more* original detail you have the better the results.

AUTO was intended for when the tape is questionable, like when there is "tracking" issue or the picture needs some filterings, or a combination of feature settings turned on/off, etc. But I would say that depending on your model, Auto may work in conjunction with other settings, which might include Tracking and Stabalization. Mine has both, and it seems that Auto has some influence depending on these two function on/off setting.

On my unit, when I see there are tracking problems (evidences in frame drops during capturing) I will turn off either Tracking and/or Stabalization--that will depend on how bad the tracking is--but i find it is best to be in EDIT mode for best (drop'less) captures.

The only thing that I can think of that can sway results (after the vcr/tape issues are worked out) is the capture equipment. So, mileage varies from one's workshop to another.

-vhelp 5416
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Leaving the JVC on EDIT mode is essentially turning off all the image filters. You may as well not use the machine if you're going to just turn off the filters that make it the respected video tape player that it is.

If you see AUTO and not NORM, then you have calibration turned on. Don't do that. Turn off calibration -- it's rarely helpful.

VHS recordings are really rough, and most often "detail" is perceived and not actually present. Noise gives that illusion.
    Read this: JVC VCR Picture Control Settings to Use While capturing
    Link: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/showthread.php/vcr-picture-control-2315.html

AUTO was intended for when the tape is questionable, like when there is "tracking" issue or the picture needs some filterings, or a combination of feature settings turned on/off, etc.
    No, that's not accurate. You've confused picture setting with calibration. The picture modes have no relationship to tracking. Calibration is designed to actively seek out the best part of the tape for playing/recording, but it rarely works that way.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So Video Calibration OFF and setting it to NORM should be better quality than Video Calibration ON and EDIT/AUTO?
    Last edited by Vidd; 21st Sep 2010 at 00:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always use Edit Mode for capturing.

Edit Mode is intended to optimize the video quality of multiple generation recordings encountered during the editing process. Generally speaking, it provides a slight boost of higher frequencies to compensate for the high frequency rolloff encountered during each record operation. As such, it also provides a beneficial compensation for the softening that is caused by some capture devices and external TBCs (DataVideo). The benefits are particularly noticeable on SVHS recordings.

On some SVHS VCRs (JVC HR-S6800 for example), Edit Mode also disables the chroma filtering that shifts the chroma with respect to luminance in the vertical direction. This shift would otherwise accumulate with every generation, but it is present even when playing the original recording. It should therefore be avoided during the capture process.

The other Picture Modes (Auto, Norm, Soft, Sharp, etc.) are intended to optimize the video playback for display purposes. Edit Mode optimizes the video playback for additional record operations (i.e., capturing).
    Last edited by davideck; 21st Sep 2010 at 12:01.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    intended to optimize the video playback for display purposes
    i.e., the permanent image you'll be capturing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The permanent image you'll be capturing will not be the output of the VCR. It will be the output of the analog processing within the capture device. If an external TBC or proc amp is included, then the processing in these units will also affect the image you'll be capturing.

The purpose of Edit Mode is to pre-process the VCR Output to compensate for expected processing downstream.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Edit mode for me aswell, the TBC work in this mode too , cleans the signal, at least on my vcr
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. That setting seems to work for me too! In my case this is why I think it's the best for the video that I need to capture.

Some will be for DVD. Hopefully a home DVD release. It's comedy stuff.
    I will want to burn good looking DVD's to play on newer tV's
    A lot of it will be for online broadcast, youtube etc. So I will be rendering it in several formats. I'm not looking for network quality because I didn't start with that type of equipment.
    Another note: If you know how the panisonic AG450 (the reporter) and 460 video camera shoots vhs and especially S VHS videos in what has a very soft look. Not like harsh digital video from a cheap camera. Many people think it looks like film. It's already pretty soft and that's why I don't think it needs to be any "softer"
    There are some jitters but those are the tapes and the spots are few. On those spots it jitters in any setting. Mostly the 12 - 18 or so year old videos are playing back pretty good. I made some tests from the capture and it looks alright too.

Sometimes the reds come out in peoples faces, but perhaps I can correct that I Vegas.

The TBC on only seems to help and not create problems.

Thanks a lot for the responce
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just to note that JVC support says something similar to the knowlegable Lord Smurf!

For Pc capture
    use normal mode, stabalizer on, TBC OFF PG. 34 on the JVC manual according to the support person.

either they are wrong in certain cases or most of us are doing it wrong. Didn't the manual come out before PC capture? Was it updated. Well, seeing is believing, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fuzzblaster View Post
    For Pc capture
    use normal mode, stabalizer on, TBC OFF PG. 34 on the JVC manual according to the support person.
    Page 34 of the 9600 Manual discusses cases where it may be better to set the TBC/NR OFF;

"When Digital TBC/NR is set to on, if you play back a tape where certain types of signals are recorded (using a PC or some character generators), the playback picture may be distorted. If this is the case, turn off Digital TBC/NR." This has nothing to do with editing/capturing.

On that same page, JVC recommends that TBC/NR be ON when using the VCR as the player for editing (capturing to another VCR).

Page 56 details the setup for Editing and instructs the user to select the "Edit" Picture Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  15. That may very well be the case. The ouput of the 110 captured in Vegas looks pretty much the same with the TBC on or off. Sometimes it has helped being on so I'm leaving it on until I start seeing it distorting the capture.

Perhaps the type of DV signal that the 110 puts out can work while being fed video on the JVC with the TBC ON having no problems.

Does anyone who uses the 110 know anything about this? I wonder?

Thanks for the input though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Also, if anyone has any input to this. While I am capturing the DV output of the canopus 110 into vegas in my PC I am also making a DVD in a toshiba standalone DVD recorder. The video playing on the JVC into the 110 into the toshiba DVR is making really good looking DVD's

Do you think that playing the JVC directly into the DVR would be the same, better or worse. I of course could do a test.

It seems to look as good or better than any DVD's I've made using the Toshiba DVR. Could the 110 signal be better than the converters in the Tosiba deck RD SX 52
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my (new/old) JVC HR-S5800U seams to have somekind of picture controls
    a pre-digipure technology with a sharpness knob
    should i just keep it in edit mode ? does that bypass the other features ?
    i just got it for around 250$ thinking to send it for ajustments.. before doing anyrhing
    i don't have the manual for it.
    is it a tape eater?
    i also have a tbc-1000
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    my (new/old) JVC HR-S5800U seams to have somekind of picture controls
    a pre-digipure technology with a sharpness knob
    should i just keep it in edit mode ? does that bypass the other features ?
    i just got it for around 250$ thinking to send it for ajustments.. before doing anyrhing
    i don't have the manual for it.
    is it a tape eater?
    i also have a tbc-1000
    The American version of the HR-S5800 user guide is here (free):
    http://books.jvc.com/booklist.asp?Model=HR-S5800

Always use JVC players in EDIT mode. Any other mode is waste of a good JVC.
    All VCR's that are seriously out of adjutsment become dangerous tape eaters, regardless of brand.
    VCR sharpness controls should be re-labeled as "noise amplifiers". VHS already has plenty of noise; VCR sharpness controls just make it worse IMHO.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hum i've seen this pdf , my unit got a front panel with a sharpness knob inside it
    and various swirches (AC ONLINE, RCU CODE, EDIT, FULL AREA FINE,V. ENHANCER)
    not listed in the pdf ; is there differences between the HR-S5800 U and AM ??

and i don't want to hijack fuzzblaster's thread , sorry fuzzblaster
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is there differences between the HR-S5800 U and AM ??
    Yes, the HR-S5800U is a different machine that is similar to the HR-S6800U.

IIRC, the Edit Mode on the HR-S5800U also disables the chroma filtering that shifts the chroma with respect to luminance in the vertical direction, so Edit Mode should be used during capture.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks davideck , read some good post here from you that said good things about this unit

and , lucky me ; the guy who sold it to me just found the manual and is going to mail it to me

real mail , not email , i just can't wait

i just love this forum ,

real good advice from experienced users to help guys like me avoid mistakes and save a lot of time

thx again

p-s. : reading this post.., (for pc capture)
    is there too much hype about vcr with TBC ??
    is it just because vcr with this feature are basically just good hi-end machines !?
    in this case tape transport and tracking should be the main things to look for !!

afraid i'm gonna start a battle of words with that statement (that may be erroneous)
    Last edited by smartel; 20th Jan 2011 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    p-s. : reading this post.., (for pc capture)
    is there too much hype about vcr with TBC ??
    Very often, for many non-pro VCR's,yes. IMHO. It depends on the tape's condition. But for tape capture you still need at least some kind of line-level TBC. I use an old DVD recorder with built-in TBC as a pass-thru device.

is it just because vcr with this feature are basically just good hi-end machines !?
    in this case tape transport and tracking should be the main things to look for !!

afraid i'm gonna start a battle of words with that statement (that may be erroneous)
    No argument from me. TBC or no TBC, without good tracking you won't accomplish much.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote