VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can a video camera connect to an external DVD burner directly by an AB USB Mini cable to make a DVD copy?
    Last edited by coody; 11th Sep 2010 at 21:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried radioshack? What about tigerdirect.com or newegg.com?

Also dvd recorders have had dv inputs for years so this isn't some brand new idea just different format.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your DVD recorder has a firewire input you can use any camcorder with a firewire output. Or you can use any NTSC video camera or camcorder with an s-video or composite output and line level audio outputs. These will only give you standard definition though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mean a video camera connects to an external DVD burner directly by a 2.0 USB Mini cable to make a DVD copy without PC. Is it possible for such a direct copy without PC? Please note I am not talking about connecting to a DVD recorder but an external DVD burner. The DVD burner usually has no S-video or composite but Mini USB port only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony has something like that. I can't think of the name. But sony does have an external dvd burner that is supposed to connect to cameras. I don't remember the name but check at sony's website for such a beast.

EDIT _ BINGO!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VRDMC6-DVDirect-Compact-Recording/dp/B002EVP85K/ref=sr_1_1?...4257513&sr=8-1

This was what I was thining. Though this is a high def version of what I remember reading about. 500.00 but no pc required. I guess its a dvd version of those 4x6 portable photo printers you can get for printinng without a pc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Note Sony's web site says
    USB Port(s) : x1 (for HDD/MemoryStick® /DVD Handycam® camcorders only)
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalo...specifications
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't we start with you saying the camera and we figure out if it will connect?

Any particular DVD recorder in mind? Or is USB the only common denominator?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Either way....what the infamous Coody is asking for is 99% impossible anyway. Video camera + eternal DVD burner = playable DVD?
    Get real.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is possible if both the DVD burner and camcorder are designed for it, such as the mentioned Sony VRD-MC6 and any of the recent Sony AVCHD camcorders. In fact to make it as foolproof as possible, Sony has put a button "make DVD" on these camcorders specifically only for that purpose, after loading a blank DVD+R on the burner and connecting it by USB to the camcorder. Everything in the chain is automatically geared to converting the AVCHD to SD MPEG-2, then creating the required VIDEO_TS folder to put them in for a full-fledged playable DVD-video.
    I only wonder why Sony has as of yet not gone the whole hog and made a blu-ray version of the burner, which will not require converting to SD and preserve all of the 1920x1080 goodness shot by the camcorder on a true-blue BD-R. Sony's insistence in marketing this scheme by "burning to DVD your precious memories" (and by necessity converting it to SD) seems silly (to me anyway). There seems to be an option to burn an AV-structure DVD with the original AVCHD files in their original resolution, but really, with a 16-minute AVCHD clip shot at FH setting already a 2GB size, and the hit-and-miss compatibility of such a DVD with current DVD players, why push it?
    You'd think that this would have been a good opportunity to showcase BD and BD-R/E after Sony et al pushed and shoved and poured money over the standard and would have seized it eons ago but they vexingly hadn't. Currently, committing your captured 1920x1080 AVCHD files to a BD-R with a view to playing on a standard BD player requires more mouse clicks on a powerful computer than I presume an average consumer would want to go through.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    I only wonder why Sony has as of yet not gone the whole hog and made a blu-ray version of the burner, which will not require converting to SD and preserve all of the 1920x1080 goodness shot by the camcorder on a true-blue BD-R. Sony's insistence in marketing this scheme by "burning to DVD your precious memories" (and by necessity converting it to SD) seems silly (to me anyway). There seems to be an option to burn an AV-structure DVD with the original AVCHD files in their original resolution, but really, with a 16-minute AVCHD clip shot at FH setting already a 2GB size, and the hit-and-miss compatibility of such a DVD with current DVD players, why push it?
    You'd think that this would have been a good opportunity to showcase BD and BD-R/E after Sony et al pushed and shoved and poured money over the standard and would have seized it eons ago but they vexingly hadn't. Currently, committing your captured 1920x1080 AVCHD files to a BD-R with a view to playing on a standard BD player requires more mouse clicks on a powerful computer than I presume an average consumer would want to go through.
    Sony hasn't made such a device but JVC has, the JVC SR-HD1500 Blu-ray recorder. It costs $2000 (US) but it is intended for authoring BDs from HD camcorder footage.

[Edit] JVC also produces a less expensive similar device with fewer features and a smaller HDD, the JVC SR-HD1250US Blu-ray Disc & HDD Recorder. Some places are selling them for about $1000 (US).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Sep 2010 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    There seems to be an option to burn an AV-structure DVD with the original AVCHD files in their original resolution,
    That's right. Wish to see a video camera can feature an AVCHD/blu-ray copy by connecting to an external SD DVD burner or Blu-ray DVD burner directly without PC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Methinks coody needs to come to terms with the fact that doing something useful with HD video from his camcorder is not going to be cheap or simple.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by coody View Post
    That's right. Wish to see a video camera can feature an AVCHD/blu-ray copy by connecting to an external SD DVD burner or Blu-ray DVD burner directly without PC.
    Either the camcorder or the recorder has to have the smarts to build the DVD/BD structure. That's not likely to happen in the camcorder because few people would use it and the manufacturers would rather sell you an expensive piece of external equipment to do it. You've already been pointed to a few standalone devices that do it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Canon Vixia HFR10 HD camera. When I connect the USB to my camera and hit the button on the camera to dump the videos it ask's me if I am dumping them to a PC or to a DVD burner. So I think this particular camera will do it, however I don't have a stand alone burner so I have never tried it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual will explain what this feature does and with which standalone DVD burner models. You could have downloaded the manual before buying the camcorder.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote