VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm searching for a way (Windows utility) to add chapter markers to MPEG-2 files with minimal or no re-encoding. I am using AVS Video Editor for all my other editing purposes. It outputs the video as as MPEG-2 file which it has to encode, so it takes a while. I'd really like not having to spend the same time re-encoding the whole thing again just because I added a few chapter markers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to keep it as a mpeg2 file and have a chapter in the .mpg itself?

I am not sure if that is possible.

Since its already mpeg2 and I'm assuming its dvd compatible and not high def mpeg2 (bitrate over 9kpbs and res over 480/576p) why not author it as a dvd? You can keep the menu nonexistent or very basic to save extra space and simply insert chapters in the authoring program. Then simply navigate the video_ts folder on the harddrive without burning a disc. Then you can easily navigate it with something like mpchc or vlc. Plus now all you have to do is simply burn the video_ts file to a dvd and you are set to go for a settop player.

Now if your intention is to stream with chapters I am not sure that is possible. It may be.

There is a way to insert chapters into a mkv file I believe. I forgot the program but there is something out there that should do it. But I don't know if there is something similar for mpg or not.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The mpeg2 is only temporary. The next step in my process is to convert it to .VOBs (in a VIDEO_TS folder). The only reason I asked about mpeg2 is because I didn't think that I could add chapter markers to .VOB files. If I can, then great! Will I be able to choose where I want to place the markers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you do want to make a dvd what you need to do with your mpeg2 file is to AUTHOR it.

Use a dvd authoring program to create the proper structure. dvdauthorgui is a free one to try out. Other software have trial downloads you can use to test out what you want.

While authoring the mpg file you can make menus, do chapter points, and customize the look and layout of the dvd itself. Then you can process the dvd structure prior to burning the disc. This will give you the vob files in the proper order in the video_ts folder. Then you can burn with imgburn.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, I'll give dvdauthorgui a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
    Thanks, I'll give dvdauthorgui a try.

Sure thing - come back if you have more questions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, here's a follow-on:
    I have used AVS Video Converter to add chapter markers to the movies I edit in AVS Video Editor. When I add the markers, it also adds a menu (of them). This behavior doesn't seem optional. I don't have any need (or desire) for the menu. After I'm done and have converted the movie to DVD (i.e., created and populated a VIDEO_TS folder), can I simply delete the VTS_01_0.VOB, VTS_01_0.IFO, and VTS_01_0.BUP files (you know, the menu related files), or is there something in the VIDEO_TS.IFO file that references them, which would cause playback problems if they were missing?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you don't want a menu, just use Chapter Edit to apply chapters to your vobs without any reencoding.

If you want to apply chapter marks manually, at your own determined positions, then I can really only suggest VideoRedo, which will output a chapter list which you can then feed into Muxman with your demuxed m2v and ac3.

(EDIT: BTW, dvdauthorgui will do this too (apply chapters at regular intervals OR at manually-specified positions, and with or WITHOUT a menu - just like yoda313 said!)... Why are you using "AVS Video Converter"?)
    Last edited by chowmein; 11th Sep 2010 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am (was) using AVS Video Converter because the AVS Video Editor, which I use to edit movies (i.e., clip out scenes and overlay graphics - which I use as a way of adding forced subtitles), doesn't output .VOB files. I use the converter to get the movie back to .VOB files. If there is an editor which will take in .VOB files, allow me to perform the two functions I need, and output .VOB files directly, please, tell me what it is.

I tried the DVDAuthorGUI, and it works great for the third feature I need (which is manually adding chapter markers) - and it does it directly to the .VOB files!!! Bonus!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hmm, you don't ask for much (lol)! Something that will import vobs, cuts & splices, overelays text/graphics, allows adding of chapter marks wherever you want them, and outputs authored vobs again ready to burn to disk... MPEG Video Wizard DVD might fit the bill (not free though).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably time to read up about making DVD's https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct and mostly it is better to use 2 separate programs for your work flow. You can then choice the best features you need.

1. A video editor that outputs a DVD conforming MPEG2 file
    2. A DVD Authoring program - where you can add chapters and have or not have a menu
    ConvertXtoDVD is a good choice as it is very tolerant of different file formats, a range of menu's or no menu's and a chapter editor and takes subtitles like srt etc.

You could use AVS Video Converter to make the MPEG2 file and maybe you can export the chapter list?
    and then use dvdauthorgui to author your DVD with or without a menu and insert the chapter points either manually using your chapter list oor automatic every 5 minutes say - you can then vary those timings.

MPEG Video Wizard DVD can also produce chapter points as you edit that are then transferred into the DVD authoring part of the program.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
    I don't have any need (or desire) for the menu.
    If you have a MPEG file you can use GuiForDVDAuthor (which is a different program to DVDAuthorGUI).

It has a "text" chapter editor; you can past in a list of times, or choose a number of equally spaced chapters, or use the "visual" chapter editor to scan though the video and add or delete chapter points at will.

The default when you import a title is to give you a single button menu that will play that video, but it also lets you just have automatic play.

See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/271380-Authoring-an-auto-play-DVD-or-editing-an-exs...E-to-auto-play
    Last edited by AlanHK; 12th Sep 2010 at 00:56.
    Quote Quote