VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If a Blu-ray DVD player has hard drive disc, can the player archive the DVD movies and video files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Given that
    1) For the past month you've been asking a different technical question almost every day
    2) We've clearly established that you have zero interest in doing your own research online or reading the documentation that comes with your equipment and instead want us to spoon feed you everything

I'm starting to think that you are just a troll trying to see how much time you can waste by getting people to answer questions you have no real interest in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll take a stab at this one.

I think you are asking if you can rip movies if a settop dvd/bluray player has a harddrive.

Short answer - no. At least not in the format you'd like - certainly wouldn't accept 5.1 in any form if it were possible.

Basically the only thing that exists like you want is a dvd recorder. BUT that works in reverse - record the tv show to the harddrive then burn to disc. I am nearly 100% certain there are NO models that have harddrives that will let you COPY a movie to its harddrive.

Think about it - what possible incentive would the industry have to let you do this?

Besides - Don't you have a computer with a dvd burner???? Just do it there where you have 100% control over the output and burn to a disc.

OR as has been mentioned get a wdtv media player and rip as iso and be done with it.

Plus as jman98 has pointed out - TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN! We can only do so much. You have to take the time to see what method works best for you - set a budget then learn the equipment that you have on hand. Once you have very specific questions about the equipment you do have we can take you further along. But as always reading your manual will be the best first step to take. From there we can flesh it out more.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The store people said a blu-ray DVD player HDD can have CD archiving. Probably not everyone knows that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cd archiving does not mean it will do video files. That is what your subject header is asking about. That probably means mp3 which I'd be surprised if it really does that. It would be more likely that it does jpg importing not music importing (riaa implications and all that).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG BD590 Video Network Blu-ray Disc Player has a built-in 250GB HDD for storing a personal media library. According to the manufacturer's page product http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD590.jsp it can store music, photos, personal videos and VOD content available through the Vudu movie service on the HDD. However, I don't think it can rip a purchased Blu-Ray movie disc to the HDD.

As far as limitations on its ability to store personal video, read the manual to find out what they are. Here's a link to the support page where the manual can be downloaded. http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD590.jsp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    However, I don't think it can rip a purchased Blu-Ray movie disc to the HDD.
    I would say thats a given. Most likely it won't copy any dvd or bluray disc whether or not its copy protected. It probably will do restricted forms of divx/xvid but at very specific requirements.

Probably still better to just buy a wdtv media player or something similar. It would be cheaper and more versatile. Plus a limitless harddrive capacity with usb support for ntfs drives.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the manual, the LG BD590 has some interesting capabilities beyond playing CDs, DVDs, and BDs. It can get video from Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow, and YouTube. It can access Pandora internet radio, Picasa Web Albums, amd AccuWeather. It can be added a home network and access movie, photo and music content from a DLNA compatible digital media server. It can play back compatible files from external HDDs and USB sticks using USB 2.0, and in some cases, USB 1.1. It can copy files from external HDDs, compatible optical media and USB flash drives to its own HDD. It can use NTFS, FAT16 or FAT32 formatted storage devices for importing files or playing back files. However, it can't be connected to a PC, digital camera or mobile phone using USB and its ability to export files is limited.

I agree that one of the better dedicated media players would be cheaper and probably is more versatile for playing back video files, but then again they can't play CDs, DVDs, or BDs directly. Some people will want a combo device like this for various reasons.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Sep 2010 at 10:50. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will try to look at LG BD590 at a store and see whether it can archive the AVCHD files and pictures. If it can, that's quite enough.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody View Post
    Will try to look at LG BD590 at a store and see whether it can archive the AVCHD files and pictures. If it can, that's quite enough.
    I don't think it will do what you want. It can't import video directly from the camera to the HDD, and it can't burn discs or export large video files to another device. Time to get real about this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody View Post
    It can't. It is just a Blu-Ray player with a CD rip to disk function for audio CD.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/lg-bd590/4505-9991_7-33943657.html

You will need to use a PC and Multiavchd + Imgburn as previously discussed to make a disc playable on that unit.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read the manual. Although the details are a bit sketchy, as I understood it, this device can copy compatible video files from optical media or an external NTFS-formatted HDD or USB stick to its own HDD library. I don't think it will rip an unprotected authored DVD or BD disc. Getting files larger than 2GB off its HDD would be a problem and it can't work directly with a camera for importing video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Sep 2010 at 11:39. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote