VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Howdy! First-time poster here...

I've got a ton of of HD-DVDs that I need to burn to 25GB Blu-Ray, and RipBot seems to be the choice. However, I've noticed most people who use it are compressing their videos.

I need just the opposite; I'd like the highest quality settings to achieve 1:1 transfer in audio and video, and, well, I'm lost.

I don't care about the time or disk space it takes; I just need to backup my precious HD-DVDs before they and/or the player give out.

I've got an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray-reader/BR writer, and have all the software installed, working, and ready to rock.

I just need the settings for the 1:1 quality. In advance, thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and also for any help I can get. I've crawled all over the place and can't get a definitive answer. (Also, do I rip these to AVCHD format prior to burning the BD-Rs? Hey, when I say all settings, I'm not kidding.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to keep the entire HD disc contents or just the main movie? RipBot is more suited for the latter. BD Rebuilder might be better for keeping menus, extras, etc.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I just need to back up the main movie on BD25; I don't need anything else, so RipBot should work fine. Also not looking to spend anything on software. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ulapines View Post
    Yeah, ClownBD will accept HD-DVD structure as input, and you can specify BD output. For many (most?) movies, selecting main movie with one audio track means no re-encoding would be required to fit on a BD25. Most of the rest would likely fit as well if the audio were downconverted; you can have ClownBD do that at the same time. (LPCM and DTS-HD audio are part of the HD-DVD spec and take a lot of space.)

The max video bitrate is considerably less for HD-DVD than for BD. Although I don't have any HD-DVDs, I'll bet most of your movies will fit on a BD25 one way or another without re-encoding.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 9th Sep 2010 at 09:01.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Since I only need the movie, and don't need to downconvert, I need the settings for RipBot that will give me a lossless transfer to BD, which I am assuming outputs from Ripbot as AVCHD...but I need all the proper settings from a knowledgeable RipBot user to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is any settings for lossless transfer to BD in RipBot.
    Reencoding is always lossy. Clown_BD will not reencode the video part.
    Quote Quote