VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What would be the most professional way to convert videos to XViD?

Are there any freeware/open-source programs that have many features typical of commercial products, such as saving job files and batch encoding?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An odd question. I don't know of any studio or professional organisation that encodes to Xvid or provides movies encoded using the Xvid codec. There is no 'gold standard' for Xvid encoding.

That said, there are plenty of freeware/open-source tools for encoding to Xvid. All the good ones are either free or open source.

What is best depends on your source, your level of expertise, and your output needs.

If you want the most control, virtualdub with the Xvid codec installed. It gives you complete control over the settings, and has batch capabilities.

If you are converting mpeg-2 or DVD source to Xvid and want good quality with minimal involvement, AutoGK would be my choice.

If you have a wider range of source formats and want something simpler than Virtualdub, Xvid4PSP is very good.

If your target is standalone DVD players and similar hardware then you have to work within the restrictions these devices impose, some of which reduce the high quality features. Programs like AutoGK and Xvid4PSP understand these limitations and have settings to ensure you don't breach them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My target is indeed standalone DVD players. I need to batch produce a LOT of discs with XViD files.

What I actually needed was something like Handbrake, but for PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The older 0.9.3 version of handbrake does support xvid and batch encoding. The newer versions have dropped this feature.
    You can get the windows verison here
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.3-Win_GUI.exe
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handbreak is available for Windows.

Since xvid is outside the DVD standard, you will be at the mercy of individual hardware DVD player specs. Some won't play xvid at all. Most will limit frame size to 720x480 or 720x576, they will vary by max bit rate allowed or extremes of variable bit rate. To play on the largest number of players you need to target the least common denominator player specs.

I'll let others suggest the parameters. I only know what plays on my 3 players that support xvid.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. WinMencoder is another option.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Since xvid is outside the DVD standard, you will be at the mercy of individual hardware DVD player specs.
    AutoGK with the ESS chipset option turned on is designed to be compatible with DVD/MPEG-4 players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by plugues View Post
    My target is indeed standalone DVD players. I need to batch produce a LOT of discs with XViD files.

What I actually needed was something like Handbrake, but for PCs.
    Why? Are you a bootlegger? Handbrake works on PCs by the way.

As edDV says, there are no guarantees. Some DVD players don't support Divx/Xvid at all. Others have specific requirements and if files are too large in resolution, or have a bit rate that is too high, or use certain encoding options like GMC or QPel, they won't play the files. Xvid encoders tend to use VBR MP3 audio, which I think is a terrible idea. VBR MP3 audio just introduces the possibility of synchronization problems for very little space savings. If you use MP3 audio I recommend that you use CBR and not VBR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you beat me to it, gunslinger: Professionals do not use XVID.

It went from MPEG-2 to H.264 for physical and broadcast distribution.

Along the line, there were attempts by Apple, Real and MS to define web video. All of them failed.
    In the end, a consortium won out, with Adobe making it easy for all.
    MainConcept created an excellent encoder, and the rest is history.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Guys I agree that professionals don't use xvid for production. But come on. Lets give the guy a brake.

The "Professional Solution" part may just be a poorly worded question or even a language barrier issue since our op is from Brazil I'm going to assume that English is not his native language. Of course I am assuming and you know what happens when you assume.

Until the OP gives a little more detail as to what he is doing and what he hopes to accomplish by encoding videos to xvid then the best we can do is offer software suggestions...

@plugues
    Use the handbrake software I linked to in my first post or use autogk like manono suggested. If that doesn't suite your needs then you need to provide more info for us.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote