VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there other HD format besides of the AVCHD and H.264 formats to burn the HD DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Be careful when you use the term "HD DVD" which is a defunt , no longer supported standard (like VHS and betamax)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_dvd

If you were referring to HD content on DVD5 media , you can use h.264, MPEG2 or VC-1 compression , but not all blu-ray or AVCHD compatible players can play them (as mentioned in previous discussions)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you were referring to HD content on DVD5 media , you can use h.264, MPEG2 or VC-1 compression , but not all blu-ray or AVCHD compatible players can play them (as mentioned in previous discussions)
    The MPEG-2 is for standard DVD, right? Why can it be referred to the HD content on DVD 5 media, by the way?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by coody View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The MPEG-2 is for standard DVD, right? Why can it be referred to the HD content on DVD 5 media, by the way?
    Yes, but MPEG2 can be HD as well. MPEG2 is a type of compression

"HD" refers to the frame size > 576 height. Many retail blu-ray still use HD MPEG2 compression . You can make a "psuedo AVCHD disc" on DVD5 media using MPEG2 compression. (I say "pseudo" because AVCHD is supposed to be AVC, otherwise it would be called MPEG2HD or something... I guess) . MPEG2 compression is usually a lot worse than AVC compression in general , so usually lower quality at equivalent bitrates (it can vary on the quality of the encoder, for example some AVC encoders are very very bad)

Since "HD" only refers to the dimensions , you can use different types of compression for HD , i.e. AVC, MPEG2, VC-1 (h.264 and AVC are equivalent terms for the same type of compression)

DVD5 refers to the media. Just like DVD9 would be dual layer DVD media , or BD25 single layer blu-ray disc, BD50 is dual layer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you watch ATSC HD broadcast or cable in North America, it is all MPeg2. Sat uses MPeg2 or proprietary MPeg4 formats but you never see the file. Mpeg2 is also high quality, just needs more bit rate vs. h/264. Most hobbiest types trying to compress to the max will use h.264. Broadcasters and program producers use Mpeg2 or other lower compressed formats to maintrain quality through multiple generations of processing.

Blu-Ray accepts MPeg2, h.264 or VC-1 on BD/BE media. DVDR media "AVCHD" structure discs are optional for players and usually are bit rate constrained vs BD/BE. The DVDR disc can only spin so fast. DVDR "AVCHD" structure discs also can use MPeg2, h.264 or VC-1 formats in an m2ts transport stream.
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Sep 2010 at 18:19.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    "AVCHD" structure discs are optional for players and usually are bit rate constrained vs BD/BE. The DVDR disc can only spin so fast. DVDR .
    That answered a head scratcher I had this week as I played with various settings on Ripbot264.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by festmaster View Post
    "AVCHD" structure discs are optional for players and usually are bit rate constrained vs BD/BE. The DVDR disc can only spin so fast. DVDR .
    That answered a head scratcher I had this week as I played with various settings on Ripbot264.

Thanks,
    Yeah. I was pushing a Blu-Ray player to the limit ~30 Mb/s and it wouldn't spin DVDR any faster. I read elsewhere that early players only went to 16 Mb/s and couldn't do 24 Mb/s AVCHD with DVDR. So I guess this depends on the mechanical design of the player. BD/BE media don't need to spin as fast.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I was pushing a Blu-Ray player to the limit ~30 Mb/s and it wouldn't spin DVDR any faster. I read elsewhere that early players only went to 16 Mb/s and couldn't do 24 Mb/s AVCHD with DVDR. So I guess this depends on the mechanical design of the player. BD/BE media don't need to spin as fast.
    That's it. Just as a comparative example, the LG DVD-players can spin (S)VCDs and cDVDs at 8x, because some engineers were smart enough to never read the pretty outdated "DVD FAQ".
    Quote Quote