VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, was wondering if anyone knows why when i rip certain dvds i get the flickering white barcode type lines across the top part of my screen?

Usually i rip the dvd to iso with dvd shrink and extract the vobs using magic dvd ripper then convert to 720p using dix plus, but this dvd is showing white lines when its a disk, vob and iso, almost like im ripping the white lines with the video, doesnt happen when i rip any other dvds, any help would be great, screen below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks like that's from a broadcast recording and not a commercial DVD. You'll probably have to crop or mask it out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that that is typical of broadcast recording and not commercial DVDs. If you have a commercial DVD and not a bootleg, then I'd suggest 2 possibilities. You can decide which you think is more likely as I have no idea.
    1) It was deliberately mastered this way due to incompetence.
    2) It was deliberately mastered this way due to the manufacturer wanting to screw with rippers figuring that few buyers will watch on their PCs and the bad area will almost certainly be cut off due to overscan on TVs.

You should be aware that upscaling a DVD rip in software to 720p Divx is a bad idea and you're not going to like anything you get out of this. It's going to look like crap for sure when you upscale that much in software. The very few times I've done this (and none were from DVD sources) were for upscaling about 10% or less. I don't feel comfortable upscaling beyond about 10% as my tests produced very poor quality results.
    Quote Quote  
  4. WOW, jman98, you are so professional, but I think the senond possibilitues maybe the main reason.
    And I am afraid that common crop software can not solve this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video is blended deinterlaced in that image, too.
    Yuck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dwero View Post
    And I am afraid that common crop software can not solve this problem.
    Of course it can. It can be cropped away and then resized very easily. Or it can be masked with black, also quite easily. And I also agree that upsizing it to 720p is a stupid idea.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It was the disc, disc 1 was non commercial yet discs 2 and 3 were, go figure, the first 4 episodes i ripped, cropped the top section then upscaled.

I rip dvd to stream on my dsm-330 divx connected media streamer and i make my 720p rips from 1080 mkv's usually so they are smaller and dont jump when i stream them, i liked the results so i have done it with some of my dvd collection like my "life of" bbc ones, when i rip to iso with no compression each episode once the vobs are joined are like 1.20gb once upscaled they are coming out about 600mb, on a 50 inch samsung they look a lot better in 720 through hdmi than the standard dvd and ten times better than any rip ive seen so i prefer it, no pixelation at all.

Just my preference, the end result of any ive ripped with AGK (me not being a professional) are just not what i would say were crystal clear as the original dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The flickering "bar codes" are the closed captions, parental warning, channel ID and program guide data used in analog broadcast.

Overscan prevents these from being seen on a normal TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Upscaling before encoding will only increase the bitrate requirement -- unless your player or TV has a very poor scaler.
    Quote Quote