VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a four year old HP media center m7640n

here are the specs, I'm running windows xp and service pak 2 (cannot install service pack 3)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00760067&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=...roduct=3245032

This is a machine that is made for consumer video so it has S video ports and the only way to capture video is using the program "sonic" that came with the machine.

I want to install a firewire card and use the Canopus advc 110 to capture video using Sony Vegas 7. In this machine when I use sonic it sends the video to one place and the audio to another, I guess the audio card that is on the motherboard. I tried using the S vhs input to capture video in sony vegas but it won't work. Will going in by fire wire avoid this or is this machine just made to capture in the "consumer" mode and cannot be configured to do more pro type video capture using the 110 and sony vegas?

Once the video is in the machine sony vegas 7 pro works fine, but I cannot capture video that would be in a better resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    DV over FireWire will include video and audio in the same stream. If you get the right FireWire card for your computer, you should be able to connect the ADVC110 and use Sony Video Capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I thought that might be the case. Thanks. Do you know what would be the right fire wire card?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You need to get a card of the correct bus type and size. The model you quoted has one PCI Express x16 slot and three PCI slots. Look inside your computer and confirm that you have a PCI slot open. Then go to Newegg (or some such) and type in "PCI firewire" and you'll see a bunch of products. Be very careful because "PCI" and "PCIe" (PCI Express) are not the same thing.
    Quote Quote