VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Like the title says, I have made a dvd menu, but it doesn't look very good.
    I have done the following:
    * Created a 720x576 (pal) jpeg image to use as background
    * Created a 720x576 png "highlight" image.
    * jpeg2yuv -n 25 -I p -f 25 -j menu_bg.jpg | mpeg2enc -n p -f 8 -a 2 -o menu.m2v
    * mplex -f 8 -o /dev/stdout menu.m2v silent.mp2 | spumux -v 2 menu.xml > menu.mpg

There are two problems:
    1. The quality of the background is low. It looks like a jpeg file that has been compressed to much. (There is not a lot of details in the image and it looks significantly worse than dvd menus usually do, so I don't think it needs to be that compressed.)
    2. The highlight buttons look weird. In the png file they are single-colored boxes on a transparent background. Sharp edges, no anti-aliazing or so. But in the menu there is a thin line in another color along some of the edges.

I have read a few tutorials that are doing the same as I do, and no one mentions these problems. Have I missed something fundamental? (I made the jpeg and png images in photoshop on a windows machine instead of gimp, but I can't see why that should make a difference.)

(I have tried to make the menus in both 4:3 and 16:9 format. I would prefer to have it in 16:9, but I read somewhere that that could cause problems.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have some hints for this problem, but not a 'good' solution... (see also: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323387-How-to-increase-resolution-in-GUI-for-dvdauthor-please )

1. Use png2yuv instead of jpeg2yuv
    2. Add the bitrate to the mpeg2enc parameters -b ... (I use -f 8 -I 0 -q 1 -b 7000 -a 2 -n p ) see the man pages for mpeg2enc:
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/mpeg2enc

Use can also install dvdstyler and analyze how it creates the menus...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Using png2yuv instead of jpeg2yuv did improve the quality, but not much. Specifying another bitrate doesn't help

So I tried something completely different:
    ffmpeg -y -i infile%03d.jpg -target dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 1 /dev/null
    ffmpeg -y -i infile%03d.jpg -target dvd -aspect 16:9 -pass 2 menu.m2v
    (infile001.jpg-infile025.jpg are links to the same image.)
    This gives better quality, but mplex doesn't like the output (menu.m2v)
    **ERROR: [mplex] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
    So I'm still stuck.

EDIT: The output from ffmpeg is not the videostream, but a mpg with the videostream within. After demuxing with mpeg2demux mplex seems happy again. (Lots of tools now...I need to make a good script as soon as I have completed the test-dvd.)
    Last edited by Bigfoot73; 6th Sep 2010 at 15:37.
    Quote Quote