VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Before anything, I've read many threads on here, downloaded a bunch of the software to try and burn this movie, but none of it's worked. I'm trying to burn this anime that seems to have Japanese and English subtitles at the same time. When someone in the anime speaks in English, Japanese subtitles appear and English subtitles appear above the Japanese subtitles at the same time. When someone speaks in Japanese, only the English subtitles appear. I've tried taking the subtitles out of the video and adding them separately with dvd flick, convert x to dvd, favc, but nothing works. Only the Japanese subtitles appear for when people are talking in English. Also this video is in 720p, and I was wondering if there is anyway to preserve that quality when I burn it to a dvd.

Someone please help me figure this out, as it's frustrating me like you wouldn't believe. I just want to burn this movie to a dvd already =p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the mkv has only one set of subtitles in it ?

ConvertXtoDVD should see any subs in the mkv file, and show them in the video details tree if you expand it. AVStoDVD should detect them as well, but will only process one set, which you will have to choose from a dialogue that will be displayed.

It is also worth noting that the DVD spec only allows one stream of subtitles to be displayed at a time, whereas other formats may allow more. This means that if there is a Japanese stream and an English stream, once converted to DVD you will only be able to have one of this showing. To get around this you would have to combine both streams into a single stream prior to authoring.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the preview window in convert x to dvd, only the Japanese subtitles appear when someone speaks in English. I assume this is because of what you said, that dvd only displays one stream at a time. What frustrates me to no end though is I delete the current subtitle stream in convert x to dvd, add the subtitles I ripped out of the video, but it still only shows Japanese subtitles. I opened the subtitles file I ripped out and it's all in English. I have practically no knowledge about video editing and whatnot, but this leads me to assume that the Japanese subtitles are sort of burned into the video file, and are overriding the English subtitles that I add in convert x to dvd. I tried opening the video file in windows live movie maker, and the same thing happens, only Japanese subtitles appear. I noticed that the English subtitles only appear when I play the video in VLC.

Please help me before I suicide with a banana.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you load the mkv into ConvertXtoDVD you should see the file listed in the left-hand pane. If you expand this you should see all the details for the file and the DVD it will become, including the video and audio streams, and the subtitle streams. If you expand the subtitle stream, how many streams do you see ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Only one. Like I said I've tried deleting that one and putting in the subtitles I ripped out of the video itself, but with no different results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. it sounds like your mkv is already hardcoded (japanese subtitles are encoded permanently into the video)

if you remux in mkvmerge (uncheckmark streams you don't want) , it's impossible to have any other streams

move that new mkv into a different empty folder (so no external subs in that new folder) , then try again . If you still have superimposed subs, it's hardcoded

and no, you can't preserve the quality . DVD-video is standard definition (720x480 in NTSC areas), and uses lossy MPEG2 compression
    Quote Quote  
  7. Alright I did what you said poison, I ran the video through mkvmerge and put it in it's own separate folder. I opened it with VLC and there were no English subtitles this time, only the Japanese ones. Is there anyway to change the encoded subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. They are part of the video image. You can crop them off, or cover them with a solid block, or blur them out, but otherwise you are stuck with them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well I don't really mind that they are there, what I'm really interested in is getting the English subtitles to work. If the Japanese subtitles are hardcoded is this impossible to do? What if I convert it to a VCD? Does that support more than one subtitle stream?
    Last edited by geramul; 1st Sep 2010 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So is that a no for is there anyway to get English subtitles to appear on this video when I make it into a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by geramul View Post
    So is that a no for is there anyway to get English subtitles to appear on this video when I make it into a dvd?
    what do you mean? you have english srt subs don't you ? You accomplished this already according to your 1st post. So you can either make dvd with soft subs, or hardcode english subs . But the japanese will still be there either way.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I did extract the subtitles, but whenever I add them with the video and convert it to dvd with stuff like FACV, convert x to dvd, or w.e, the english subtitles don't appear, only the japanese subtitles do. I don't even know why they hardcoded the japanese subtitles when there's barely any english dub in the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by geramul View Post
    I did extract the subtitles, but whenever I add them with the video and convert it to dvd with stuff like FACV, convert x to dvd, or w.e, the english subtitles don't appear, only the japanese subtitles do. I don't even know why they hardcoded the japanese subtitles when there's barely any english dub in the movie.

what? you said they work (english) in the 1st post:

When someone in the anime speaks in English, Japanese subtitles appear and English subtitles appear above the Japanese subtitles at the same time. When someone speaks in Japanese, only the English subtitles appear.
    buy the dvd and it will work fine
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yeah I was referring to the actual video on my computer. That's what I want to happen on the dvd, but like I said the english subtitles for some reason refuse to appear when I make it a dvd, only the japanese subs appear. Lol I wish I could buy it, but it probably won't be released in america for another year at least T_T. Is this happening because of what guns said, that a dvd can only display one stream of subtitles at once? Is a VCD different, and can it display more than one stream at a time so I can achieve what I want?
    Last edited by geramul; 1st Sep 2010 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You only need one stream of subtitles because the Japanese subs are part of the image, not a subtitle stream. Most of the one click authoring tools that create subtitles do not set them to be on by default. You can turn them on with the Subtitle button on your remote, or you can use PGCEdit to set the subtitles on by default before burning the DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yeah I think I stressed out for no reason at all, gg for me almost giving myself a heart attack. I just assumed by seeing the preview in convert x to dvd that the English subtitles weren't converting over, but when the conversion was finished and I played the converted video, I found that the subtitles are there and I can turn them on. Derp. Thanks guys for helping me xD. I guess next time I should be more patient and wait for the end result lol.
    Quote Quote