VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    WTV - format used by Windows Media Center to record DVB.
    It is essentialy only a container for MPEG2 video and MPA/AC3 audio stream. It's an unfortunate alternative for MPEG-TS, you could say.

Naturally we want more editable format, so that we could use for example dgindex and then avisynth with it.
    So far, I have seen only solutions that require converting the file to DVR-MS first. That's an unnecessary step.

We will need:
    1. GraphEdit
    2. Directshow filters dump.ax and MpgMux.ax (CyberLink MPEG Muxer). You can obtain them for example with AutoDVRConvert

To do:
    We won't actually use AutoDVRConvert, we will just unpack it and run "Register Filters.bat". At this point we will have registered the necessary filters and this step won't be needed next time.

Now, we can unpack and run GraphEdit.
    1. File -> Render Media File... (locate our wtv)

2. We should see now something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GraphEdit1.png
Views:	1850
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	3255

3. Each box (besides the left one which is video source) represents an audio/video filter needed for playback of this file. We will now delete some unnecessary filters (simply click on the box and press delete) to make it look like this:

Name:	GraphEdit2.png
Views:	1577
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	3258

4. Now we will add two filters of our own. Graph -> Insert Filters...
    Under Directshow filters we will select and insert "Cyberlink MPEG Muxer" and "Dump" filter. This one will ask you for an output file. Write whatevername.mpg

5. After closing filter window we need to make a chain again by dragging each of the "Out" pin to the "Video in" and "Audio in". Arrows must cross because "DVR Out - 1" carries audio and "DVR Out - 2" video. So we connect DVR out with MPEG Muxer and with the Dump filter which will create the desired output.

Name:	GraphEdit3.png
Views:	1623
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	3259

6. Now, we will hit the PLAY button and see what happens.

So, this is it. I hope it will help someone.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adding a mirror for AutoDVRConvert:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Shouldn't AutoDVRconvert be classified as "warez" since it contains MpgMux.ax which is Copyright Cyberlink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Shouldn't AutoDVRconvert be classified as "warez" since it contains MpgMux.ax which is Copyright Cyberlink.
    Oh geez ... what ?? ... You have stock in Cyberlink ... I've got zillions of Cyberlink programs ... and I have saved this webpage ... so go for it ... lock this thread or delete ... I already saved it.

Good post ... I would say ... I suppose it could have been rewritten a different way ... so that the "Warez Police" wouldn't have come ringing the doorbell.

Actually ... I don't have a problem using the ... wtv to dvr-ms ... feature in Windows 7 ...

P.S. ... If I seem to be in a crappy mood ... I am ... I just now spent the last few hours ... using a ... Stinger / wet vac to clean up a whole bunch of ... cat ... kitten ... poop under my wife and I ... bed ... gawd it was bad ... they got a kitty litter box ... why do they want to get under our bed and poop there ??

I guess since they lick their butt to clean up them themselves ... they dont really realize how frikking gross that really is ... !!
    Last edited by lacywest; 3rd Sep 2010 at 03:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Personally, I don't care if AutoDVRconvert contains copyrighted software. It just seems like a double standard. If somebody mentions downloading the latest blockbuster they get banned. Or if they ask for a crack to unlock a program they get banned. But the site doesn't seem to mind hosting a lot of files that contain bits of commercial software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are other ways to get dump filters and multiplexers for this, if anyone is concerned about it. There may be one or more multiplexers and one or more dump filters included with manufacturer software provided for a TV card. Cyberlink's Power Producer and Power Director may also install them, if someone is using those products.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to register the filters with the .bat generates an error.
    Same error, both files.

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 11716
Size:  11.6 KB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you have admin privileges?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    I also tried placing the files in the system32 and syswow64 folders and trying from the command prompt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the Command Prompt as admin even if you're already using an Administrator account. (Don't run the batch file as admin, if that's what you were doing.) There's supposed to be a way you can do that using the Run box (from the Start menu), but I don't remember exactly what it was - I prefer to keep a Command Prompt shortcut in my Quick Launch toolbar, instead - because I normally just right-click the shortcut and select Run As Admin.

Then, try registering the filters from that elevated command prompt.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same result.
    I placed the .ax file in windows\system32

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	2829
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	3593
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I moved the folder to the c:\ root (I changed the name of the folder and the bat file to zz and register)
    Used the Command Prompt as Administrator, ran the bat file from inside the folder and got the message that both .ax files had registered.
    Now proceeding with the next step in the tutorial.

Edit:it worked.
    Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm not familiar with Graphedit.
    I saved the graph OK.
    Can it be edited/used for a different source file or does a new graph have to be created for each .wtv file.
    Last edited by sambat; 25th Sep 2010 at 19:39. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I'm not familiar with Graphedit.
    I saved the graph OK.
    Can it be edited/used for a different source file or does a new graph have to be created for each .wtv file.
    You can rename the source file to match the name in the graph. Or delete the source filter and add a new one for the new video and reconnect the pins.

I made a batch file that can mostly automate the process using the SendTo option:

REM the working folder is the folder the batch file is in
    move %1 video.wtv
    remux.grf
    move video.wtv %1
    move video.mpg "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mpg"
    I put this batch file in C:\BAT and created a graph there that opens video.wtv from there. The graph outputs video.mpg. When Graphedit exits (you have to "play" the graph and exit manually) the batch file moves the original video back to its original location with its original filename, and moves the new MPG file to the same folder as the original video, with the same name but an MPG extension. I created a shortcut to the batch file in the SendTo options. So I can right click on any WTV video and select Send To -> remux.bat. It works best (fastest) if the video is on the same drive as the BAT file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Sep 2010 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much obliged for the suggestions - I got it working but not without problems - I am using a new PC running Windows 7 64 bit and there were problems registering the graph file.

Apart from that, I found that the .wtv file used to construct the graph must be kept in the same folder as the .wtv files that are to be converted else the .mpg file is not created (although the .wtv file is imported to the bat folder and exported back to the source folder).

The .wtv file used to construct the graph should not be sent to the bat file, else the graph refuses to run (remux.grf has to be recreated).

I will attempt the process in my XP PC to see if the symptoms are the same..
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did all my testing on Win7 64 bit. Using my batch file the source video doesn't have to be in the same folder as the batch file. I can right click on a WTV file in any folder on any drive and select SendTo -> remux.bat. Then all I have to do is press Play, and when it's done close the GraphEdit Window.

Note that you must make remux.grf (once) before running the batch file. That graph should open a file called VIDEO.WTV in the same folder as the batch file. Remux.grf should be in the same folder as remux.bat. I used C:\Bat. Ie,

C:\Bat\Remux.bat
    C:\Bat\remux.grf (opens C:\bat\video.wtv)

To add Remux.bat to the SendTo list on Win7 I used the technique described in this page:

http://jkontherun.com/2009/02/03/customize-the-windows-7-send-to-menu-option/

Simply type “shellendto” (without the quotes) in the location bar of a Windows Explorer window. You’ll see the default choices here. Now you can pull any of the defaults out or you can add locations you want in the standard list with a simple drag-and-drop.
    I created a shortcut to Remux.bat in the SendTo folder.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Sep 2010 at 20:53.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That graph should open a file called VIDEO.WTV in the same folder as the batch file.
    I wasn't doing that.
    I created the .grf file from a .wtv file in the recordings folder - thus the wrong name.

Then I found out that the mpeg files were cut short - I was exiting GraphEdit before the file was rendered (I didn't notice the red icon was lit).

It's now working as you indicated - a tip of the hat to you and thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can convert all the SD channels that I record, but GraphEdit seems to choke with HD channel video truncated at around thirty seconds.
    Here are two different TV stations.
    The lengths reported by GSpot are incorrect.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	10926
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	3718Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard011.jpg
Views:	11193
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	3719
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gave up on the Cyberlink Muxer because I couldn't get it to process an HD stream properly.
    Have been using Moonlight M71 muxer without any problems.
    Another advantage is that you can click on the muxer properties and verify that it is running as it shows it's progress through the file..

Edit:
    Since all of my TV recordings go to the same folder, I changed the bat file to stop the files being copied before and after conversion.
    The bat file and grf file are in the same folder as the recordings.
    I just drag a file onto the .bat and conversion begins immediately.
    It speeds it up for those 8GB recordings.

rename %1 video.wtv
    mux.grf
    rename video.wtv "%~n1.wtv"
    rename video.ts "%~n1.ts"
    Last edited by sambat; 9th Oct 2010 at 19:17. Reason: Change bat file
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I gave up on the Cyberlink Muxer because I couldn't get it to process an HD stream properly.
    Ah, yes. Quite common.

Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    Have been using Moonlight M71 muxer without any problems.
    Another advantage is that you can click on the muxer properties and verify that it is running as it shows it's progress through the file..
    Thanks. Good info.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a program called GraphView that can be included in the bat file, will run a .grf file and exit.
    If a For..In..Do command could be set up to process all the .wtv files and included in a Schedule it could make things much simpler.
    I added the line to include Graphviewer and it works ok, but I haven't figured out how to move all the files through it.

@echo off
    rename %1 video.wtv
    echo Processing video..
    echo off
    graphviewer.exe muxmpg2.grf
    c:
    cd _AGK input
    rename video.mpg "%~n1.mpg"

Look for Graphviewer10.zip here:
    http://www.64k.it/andres/dettaglio.php?sez=g
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    There's a program called GraphView that can be included in the bat file, will run a .grf file and exit.
    Nice. Now the process can be fully automated.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the following .bat file.
    The .wtv files are in my E drive and end up as .mpg files on the C drive.
    Initially I had problems with the Task Scheduler (Windows 7) - I think because I was an Administrator without a Password defined.

@echo off
    for %%a in ("*.wtv") do call :nameit "%%a"
    if %%a not==("*.wtv") then goto end
    :nameit
    echo processing "%~n1"
    rename %1 video.wtv
    graphviewer.exe loopmuxmpg.grf
    C:
    cd\
    cd agkin
    echo renaming "%~n1"
    rename video.mpg "%~n1.mpg"
    cd\
    e:
    :end
    Last edited by sambat; 18th Oct 2010 at 11:06. Reason: Clarity- I hope.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    Initially I had problems with the Task Scheduler (Windows 7) - I think because I was an Administrator without a Password defined.
    Yes, Task Scheduler requires that the "Run as" account has a non-empty password. This has been true since XP, at least.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    StaxRip CLI in a bat file can be run as a Scheduled Task and used to batch convert mpg to avi.
    The video quality is equal to AutoGK.
    Code:
    for %%f in (*.mpg) do echo %%f
    for %%a in ("*.mpg") do call :gonow  "%%a"
    if %%a not==("*.mpg") then goto end
    :gonow
    echo processing %~n1.mpg
    staxrip.exe -template:myxvid "%~dpn1.mpg" -encode -exit
    end
    Quote Quote  
  25. When I open the wtv file in Grapedit it says "some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format"
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's normal - you should still get the graph shown in the first image.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    That's normal - you should still get the graph shown in the first image.
    But graphviewer.exe just "quits" (I run graphviewer with the graph file) and my wtv files is not converted

maybe something can be done about that since the source code exist for graphviewer.

Is it possible to tell what codec graphedit is complaining about?
    (it seems the error messages are commented out)

//printf("ERROR - Could not initialize COM library");
    //printf("ERROR - Could not create the Filter Graph Manager.");
    Last edited by kocoman; 9th Feb 2011 at 00:09.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the file being saved if you run the graph from GraphEdit - not by GraphViewer.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this guide, I have been trying to get this to work for problematic recordings from certain channels (freeview HD, dvb-t2) which other tools have failed to process, mctvconverter, mceremuxer etc...

I had found another similar guide to to this which uses an ati remuxer instead, some success but

1> it seems to process real time? Should it be a lot quicker how do I make that happen?

2>Is it possible to remux to a ts file instead of MPG?

Thanks
    Quote Quote