VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    than just the main movie?

I got my replacement disc this week. I figured I'd go ahead with ripping this to mkv but the problem is that the normal way of me doing this seems to not work with this disc. I usually go for the largest m2ts in the stream folder and convert that to mkv. With the new Gladiator disc, this method does not work as there a lot of m2ts files that are similar in size. How would one convert this movie to mkv?

Now as for the second question, I notice whenever I play the largest m2ts file for Bourne Supremacy in VLC that there are actually commentary videos that pop up and play. How can I avoid this? Are these videos actually transferred over into the mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't say how you're ripping. Anyway, here's a couple methods:

1) Have AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey running in the background. Rip *only* the main movie with ClownBD. Then create an MKV or whatever it is you want to do.

2) Rip entire disc to hard drive. Use BDinfo to identify the main movie. There will be a single *.mpls file (playlist file) that you can select, which includes all the *.m2ts files of the main movie.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Forgot to add: Pay attention to the audio output options in ClownBD. For MKV, you may want to let ClownBD extract core audio or convert the audio to AC3.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 28th Aug 2010 at 09:58.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I've been using Ripbot and just removing the largest m2ts file from the bluray disc. So the mkvs may have more than just the main movie?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, RipBot is not a ripper, it's a converter, but anyway...

The playlist file is what you want. As you've found, sometimes a titleset is spread out over a number of *.m2ts files. Use BDinfo to find out which *.mpls to use. I've only used RipBot a couple of times, so maybe someone can help you with it.

Here's another option:

3) Rip directly to MKV with MakeMKV. (free while it's beta) De-select any unwanted audio and subtitle streams. It will identify the largest titleset for you.

Gladiator's been out for a while on Blu-Ray, so it's not a decrypting problem. Besides, I have that one. It has two alternate versions, each of which share most of the *.m2ts files. The shorter of the two is the theatrical version.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a new release of Gladiator that Paramount is letting people with the original release send in their disc for an exchange

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/paramount-creates-exchange-program-for-us-gladiator-blu-ray-release/7839

I got mine this week.

I know it's a converter. I'm just not sure if an m2ts file may have things within that I don't want which creates a much larger file. And I'm not sure if I'm correct in just picking the largest file

For example, Godfather is 47gbs. Now I know it's a long movie but is there a possibility that the m2ts file contains other media I don't want? And is it possible to remove that media before converting to mkv? The reason I'm asking is because of Bourne Supremacy which did include other video in the m2ts file. When I opened the video in VLC, other windows opened which I could play as well

Sorry for being unclear but hopefully that clarifies it
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, picking the largest *.m2ts file only works if the main movie is in a SINGLE *.m2ts file. Often that's the case, but sometimes it isn't. Hence your confusion; your method has been incorrect, although you've gotten away with it heretofore. Now you've encountered titleset(s) that aren't single *.m2ts files. So if you persist in selecting *.m2ts files rather than the correct *.mpls file, you're not going to get anywhere. Sorry, but there it is.

There is a PLAYLIST directory within the BDMV folder on a Blu-Ray movie disc. All the movie playlists are in that folder. There is one *.mpls for each movie playlist or titleset. Again, BDinfo is useful for identifying the *.mpls for a titleset. So if you were to extract main movie with, say, tsMuxer, you would choose the correct *.mpls, not the largest *.m2ts. I presume you can do the same in RipBot, though I really don't remember.

Once you have selected the correct *.mpls and the corresponding titleset is loaded, you should have a list of the streams, some of which you can de-select if you want.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote