VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried using 3 different types of media.

All of which have been confirmed by other users to work on the PS3.

I tried to condense my 4 dvd's into one blu-ray compilation disk. I have selected the

"[Blu-ray for BD-R] - multiAVCHD will create output suitable to burn to BD-R/RE media. Useful for Blu-ray only compatible players. Disc will be recognized as "Blu-ray"

as my output choice since I was hoping to play these disc again in a Blu-ray standalone player in the future if need be.

However, the disk are not showing up in my PS3 at all.

I have also tried the option of "AVCHD Relaxed" for optical medium. This output does not work on the PS3 either.

They play perfectly fine on my computer using Powerdvd.

I have the 250gb slim version of the PS3 (US Version).

Further my subtitle always seems out of sync. The source of my DVD's are PAL 25 FPS. The NTSC format is select and the logs file shows NTSC slow down is applied. However the subtitle always seem out of sync when played on the computer with Powerdvd 10.

If anyone can lend me some advice, it would be great appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why don't you leave them in PAL 25fps? Bluray support PAL content... not sure this will solve your synch issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by elmuz View Post
    Why don't you leave them in PAL 25fps? Bluray support PAL content... not sure this will solve your synch issues.
    I was told US PS3 do not play PAL Blu-ray disc. This may be wrong information...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdp 350 blu-ray player(ntsc) doesnt play pal blu-ray so i assume the ps3 won't either.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by cougarve View Post
    I was told US PS3 do not play PAL Blu-ray disc.
    I didn't expect that!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The sad thing is that the Australian PS3 happily plays PAL and NTSC. The only piss-off is that it is resolutely region locked, so I have to make a region free copy of my R1 material to watch it on the PS3.

So technically there is absolutely no reason for Sony not to support PAL and NTSC as standard on all PS3s.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Base on my description above is there any changes I should make to get my disc to play correctly.

Base on the information presented it really doesn't matter if my Output file is in PAL or NTSC since the previous posted indicated that the PS3 plays both.

I have tried burning the files created by MULTIAVCHD as "AVCHD Relaxed" mode and "Blu-ray" with the certified folder.

Regardless of how I burned the disc, nothing seems to be detected by the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd suggest that you install IMGBURN and select the option in multiAVCHD (Settings tab) to use ImgBurn.

Then load your files, create a compilation and let imgburn do its job. If your PS3 is European or Australian model it will play both PAL and NTSC. Just to be sure, select NTSC as TV system in AUTHOR tab.

If it doesn't work - you're doing something wrong. Post a LOG from a conversion if you have more troubles.

Remember that the BD-R/RE disc should be UDF 2.5/2.6 with BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders burned. If using DVD media with your PS3 you'll have to use [AVCHD relaxed] mode. If using USB HDD with the PS3 you'll have to use [Playstation 3] button.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've tried using the settings you have indicated and still no luck along with IMGBURN.

My log is posted below.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Any of our Multiavchd experts out there have any advice for me after looking over my log?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a mediainfo of one of the m2ts files created by MultiAVCHD. I may be reading the logs wrong, but it appears (to me at least) that multiAVCHD is creating 720 x 576 interlaced video at 23.976 fps. Neither PAL or NTSC. Checking the actual video files created will confirm if this is the case.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This is the info I was able to extract from the mts file. I believe I tried to encode this disc in PAL with 25 FPS (this selection was made my default by the program when I selected PAL for my TV System in MultiAVCHD) since my NTSC disc did not play either.

General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : F:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 3.91 GiB
    Duration : 2h 13mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 178 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 806 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 9 800 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.367
    Stream size : 3.56 GiB (91%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 184 MiB (5%)

Text #1
    ID : 4608 (0x1200)
    Format : PGS
    Language : Chinese

Text #2
    ID : 4609 (0x1201)
    Language : English

Text #3
    ID : 4610 (0x1202)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's PAL, so you either haven't configured MultiAVCHD properly to do PAL conversion, or it simply isn't working for PAL conversion.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It could be as simple as a dead bd-rom unit. It happens after 2-3 years of heavy usage. If the PS3 was heavily used for games it is possible that the reader can't handle BD-R/DVD-R discs anymore.

I'd suggest that you get an external USB HDD, format it with FAT32 and use [Playstation 3] mode from multiAVCHD.

Can you play BD backups, created with BD Rebuilder? Can you play anything written to BD-R/RE or DVD-R/RW discs?

Back on topic - even if the PS3 was to reject the PAL content it would issue an error after detecting the disc. This doesn't seem to be the case.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by multiAVCHD View Post
    It could be as simple as a dead bd-rom unit. It happens after 2-3 years of heavy usage. If the PS3 was heavily used for games it is possible that the reader can't handle BD-R/DVD-R discs anymore.

I'd suggest that you get an external USB HDD, format it with FAT32 and use [Playstation 3] mode from multiAVCHD.

Can you play BD backups, created with BD Rebuilder? Can you play anything written to BD-R/RE or DVD-R/RW discs?

Back on topic - even if the PS3 was to reject the PAL content it would issue an error after detecting the disc. This doesn't seem to be the case.
    Do you happen to know through experience if the PS3 supports mpeg-2 on on Blu ray through your BDMV output.

My current resolution is 720x576...does the Blu-ray disc have to be in HD resolution for the PS3 to accept it?

I just bought the PS3 and I haven't really played any Blu-ray content on it as of yet. I was just trying to condense my old video collection that used to be Standard Definition to reduce clutter.

The PS3 seems play stock Blu-rays just fine. I have not tried making customs Blu-ray with BDrebuilder.

I will take a look into it this weekend I guess. Really appreciate all the feedback. If anyone else out there can point out anything I can change to fix my problem please chime in.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes, it supports MPEG2, AVC/H.264 and VC-1 if in AVCHD or Blu-ray structure. I played a lot of DVD rips 720x576@25.000fps MPEG2 in my PAL PS3, authored as AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is your PS3 a PAL or NTSC model ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have the slim 250 gb US model. Looking at wikipedia it said the model supports both.
    Quote Quote  
  19. No, a US model supports only NTSC content and not 25fps.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by multiAVCHD View Post
    No, a US model supports only NTSC content and not 25fps.
    If this is the case then my initial conversion of 720x576 @ 23.976 fps should work.

I see in the logs files of my previous run that NTSC slow down was applied.

I still don't understand why the NTSC disc wont play.

It makes sense for the PAL ones not to play since the PS3 doesn't support PAL playback.

I still have not tested the BDRB method yet. I will do so tonight.

Dean what kind of media do you use on for Blu-ray may I ask?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use primarily USB HDD and DVD5/DVD9 discs. There are hundreds of PAL region and NTSC region users which burn successfully BD-R/RE discs with multiAVCHD authored structures for Playstation 3. Either you're doing something totally wrong (which I doubt) or you're using BD-R media (drive) which is not reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  22. My Blu-ray drive is the Lite-On

Found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106348

I use the media found here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/optical-quantum-bd-r-philipr04-4/4864

I have read reviews that the media is ps3 compatible. My drive is well known to work the ps3.

It maybe the media, and I will try a different batch after my BDRB test tonight if BDRB does not work.

I am just fearing its the media resolution or the audio file that is not detectable.

I read on the forum a lot of being getting msg from the PS3 "invalid disc", however my PS3 just hangs and does nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I had the same problem with DVD-RW discs (after heavy use)... PS3 loads the disc, the clock starts spinning and either stops after 20-30 seconds or just goes forever, but the DISC icon never shows and PS3 never detects it. That's MEDIA related problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any evidence of you producing NTSC output yet. The log you posted shows NTSC menus being created, but PAL video. The m2ts files created are clearly PAL.

Post a mediainfo output showing that you have NTSC video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hmmm...I see your point. I checked the mediainfo output file and it said 23.976 PAL.

I selected the NTSC as the TV System but the output does not say otherwise.

Is Pal 23.976 the same thing as NTSC @ 23.976 fps? Since Multavchd only does an NTSC slowdown. TBH I have no idea how the conversion works. I just assumed selecting the NTSC TV system is all I needed to do. I am no video conversion guru so please excuse the ignorance.

General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : C:\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 3.91 GiB
    Duration : 2h 3mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 520 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 686 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 9 800 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.371
    Stream size : 3.19 GiB (82%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 566 MiB (14%)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NTSC is 720 x 480 @ 23.976fps, while PAL is 720 x 576 @ 25fps. What you have is neither.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I guess my solution is finding something that will transcode my resolution to NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am surprised that MultiAVCHD doesn't do this correctly. You could use AVStoDVD to re-encode the video to NTSC (it outputs elementary or program streams) and then author these with MultiAVCHD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  29. according to the log, the file was remuxed with 23.976. it is possible to transcode, too.
    Quote Quote