VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple of DVDs of film noir that I burned from files downloaded from a newsgroup. They play fine on the computer, both sound & picture. But in the stand alone player, I get picture only, no sound. Other DVDs burned at the same time are fine. But those might have been from different posters. I usually play discs before I delete the files, but I didn't do it for this group of dics, so I don't have the original files that I downloaded.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The first suggestion I have is to try to play it on a different standalone or a PC where you have some DVD playing software. If you need free software, VLC works well on Windows, Linux and Mac. If something else can play it with audio, then it's an issue with your standalone or possibly the way that the disc was made. But the first thing to do it seems to me would be try to easily see if there even is audio on it or not.

You could also consider installing IFOEdit. Look at a guide on how to use it. You could use IFOEdit to open the DVD and look for audio in it. You won't be able to play it but at least it could tell you if there is audio and what format it is. It could be a format issue. For example, it is theoretically possible to author a DVD with only DTS audio. Such a DVD would violate DVD standards, but it could be created. If your standalone player doesn't understand DTS audio, that could be the problem.

Also, put the DVD in a computer and tell us if you see folders called VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS on it. If you see something else, you don't have a DVD. It may be burned to a DVD disc, but it's not in DVD format and that could be your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you download as DVD (VIDEO_TS or disk image) or did you convert the downloaded files to DVD?
    What does MediaInfo or GSpot say about the audio in VTS_01_1.VOB?
    Last edited by Case; 23rd Aug 2010 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote