VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm missing a simple setting I hope...

The input is coax, into a Hauppage 500 PCI card. The vid quality is good, but I have no audio.

What am I missing here?

Try to answer this one before laughing ;
    Audio comes in on coax too - right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Can no one help here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cwb
    Depends on the source - is it cable/sat/fios? Then yes it should.

Check your hauppauge manual. I know some happauge cards require a audio cable to be connected to your internal sound input slot on your motherboard. Could this be an issue on your card? If its not connected you won't get audio.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cwb View Post
    Can no one help here?
    You asked on the weekend. Nobody gets paid for helping you. And many of us don't keep up with the forums on the weekend because we have other/better things to do. YOUR emergency is not MY emergency? Get it?

I can't even find your product listed on the Hauppage website. If you got the number wrong, you need to get it right. Since I can't find it, that means I can't look at the connectors. Yes, if you are using old style coax cable for TV like in the USA, it does carry video and audio.

Anyway, getting audio to work can be a bit of a bitch with capture cards. That is always the number one issue with them. Sometimes Windows mutes the input channel. So you need to check the Windows sound controls and be sure that they are all unmuted and active. I've seen audio come through a different channel than you might expect it to be named, so that's why you need to just unmute everything to be safe. Also check the controls on the Hauppauge device itself and make sure that they are correct for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by cwb
    Depends on the source - is it cable/sat/fios? Then yes it should.

Check your hauppauge manual. I know some happauge cards require a audio cable to be connected to your internal sound input slot on your motherboard. Could this be an issue on your card? If its not connected you won't get audio.
    The source is the Sattelite DVR. I plugged in the input to an old TV, and it outputs audio, so I have a configuration setting wrong.

The card came from a pc shop owner, so I know it's good.

The only 'Headers' on the card internal are 'Header1' and Header2'; 10 or 12 pin headers, they're not for sound, that I can tell...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support.html

I am assuming he is talking about the WinTV-PVR-500,
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_mce.html

I've kind of been living on the Hauppauge website and every website i can find for hauppauge cards the last 24 hours trying to figure out some info about a couple of their cards

They definitely need a lot of improvement on identifying their products from the info on their website.

The card came from a pc shop owner, so I know it's good.
    Well, unless you actually saw it installed and working before you bought it, you can only assume it's good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Can no one help here?
    You asked on the weekend. Nobody gets paid for helping you. And many of us don't keep up with the forums on the weekend because we have other/better things to do. YOUR emergency is not MY emergency? Get it?

I can't even find your product listed on the Hauppage website. If you got the number wrong, you need to get it right. Since I can't find it, that means I can't look at the connectors. Yes, if you are using old style coax cable for TV like in the USA, it does carry video and audio.

Anyway, getting audio to work can be a bit of a bitch with capture cards. That is always the number one issue with them. Sometimes Windows mutes the input channel. So you need to check the Windows sound controls and be sure that they are all unmuted and active. I've seen audio come through a different channel than you might expect it to be named, so that's why you need to just unmute everything to be safe. Also check the controls on the Hauppauge device itself and make sure that they are correct for audio
    I can't believe when some people bump their help request threads after 3 hours, or 2, or even sometimes one hour. They seem to expect immediate help, for free.

That being said, I waited for 2 days, before bumping. And I took notice that many other threads were generating hits.

I need tech help, not an attitude. GET IT?

edit:
    and you seem to have plenty of it. I KNEW I'd seen your horsewaste before.
    You just made (established) the list. Ignore list, that is...

2nd edit
    Do you have another user account? Maybe JimboS???
    Last edited by cwb; 23rd Aug 2010 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The source is the Sattelite DVR. I plugged in the input to an old TV, and it outputs audio, so I have a configuration setting wrong.
    I'm not sure I unstand how you have this plug in to WinTV-PVR 500
    You should be using Sattelite DVR SVideo/Audio RCA output jack to PVR 500 that give you the best picture quality.

What OS are you using and what app are you using?.
    Record a Small clip try playing it back maybe there something muted in Sound Mixer

The only 'Headers' on the card internal are 'Header1' and Header2'; 10 or 12 pin headers, they're not for sound, that I can tell...
    It is an Audio/Video Headers there a A/V Bracket/Cable Set you can buy from web hauppauge store
    Quote Quote  
  9. Don't know if you have it working yet but here's some general advice.
    First you have to find out if this capture card captures audio or just passes it thru to the sound card.
    Open control panel and open "sound and audio devices" (that's what it's called under xp)
    click the audio tab and look for the recording device selection. There will be a drop down box, if your capture card captures audio it will be listed there and has to be selected to work.
    If the card is not listed there then it doesn't capture audio and just sends the audio to the sound card. In that case, you'll need a cable to go from the capture card to the sounds card's line input (since I'm not familiar with the card you're using I have to leave that detail up to you).
    Once that's done you have to select the line input for recording. Actually the capture software should do this automatically but if it doesn't:
    open the system volume control, goto options->properties
    select recording, click ok
    and now you can select the line input and set the volume level.
    If the line input on the sound card is already being used for something else, well, if you have some electronics savvy you can whip something up, otherwise you'll just have to be prepaired to swap cables when you want to capture video.
    Quote Quote