VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    OK....here's the scoop.
    I sent a friend in Oz a DVD(of a VHS tape she sent to me to digitize). Now she wants this stuff on her iPhone. I've experimented on getting her "there" with freeware....all worked out well using WinFF with 640x480 res.(sent her a 30 second test clip). It's my understanding that WinFF needs ffmpeg for it to function....but I don't recall ever knowingly installing ffmpeg on my system. I suppose I got ffmpeg via SUPER or some other program somehow?

Anyway. What programs do I need to have her find, download and install so I can call her and talk her through the process? All I want her to do (besides rip the disc BY CHAPTER with DVDDecrypter - but I've got that covered) is to drag the 36 chapters of this disc into WinFF - change the res to 640x480 (MPEG4 - MP4 Fullscreen), hit CONVERT and go have a cup of coffee, or two....or three.

It all works well for me....but I'm not 100% sure what I'm actually using here.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H.264 is the codec identifier and the compression method used. X.264 is an encoder that implements H.264 compression. ffmpeg is another encoder that can do H.264 encoding.

From what I have seen, most front-ends, such as WinFF, bring the required libraries with them. So WinFF most likely installed a version of ffmpeg when it was installed. SUPER likewise. It is possible to have several different versions of ffmpeg installed on your PC at the same time. Audacity Beta uses a different version again, DVD Flick installs one. Many of these front-ends will only work with the version of ffmpeg they install, and cannot work with a newer version (or older version) without being re-compiled.

If she installs WinFF, she should get the appropriate version of ffmpeg installed at the same time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So WinFF contains FFMpeg, and FFMpeg contains everything needed for a computer(or at least WinFF) to decode and encode H264?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a WinFF user, but that is how these apps are written in general. Certainly for encoding. For decoding it may require FFDShow and the Haali splitter, depending on the source, and how it reads it. I don't know if WinFF uses avisynth for open the source or not.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    She has audio but no video. I'm sending her ffMpeg now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    I don't know if WinFF uses avisynth for open the source or not.
    I am quite sure it doesn't... If you'd like to preprocess videos with avisynth you can try AVANTI... It's quite tricky at first, but it's good in the end...

When you use WinFF, try the playback button on the top: it will give you a feedback on how it menages the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    She is going to try the iPod preset in WinFF. Also if you look into WinFF's folder....ffMpeg.exe is in there. I think I may have simply given her the wrong settings to use in WinFF.
    Quote Quote