VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using ffmpegX for the first time the last several days, and really liking the output when using the mpeg2enc to get MPEG-2 outputs. I have been doing a whole bunch of test encodes from both uncompressed 10-bit and ProRes422 .mov files (which are outputs of FCP, after editing some VHS footage which was captured with HuffYUV into AVI). Everything looks good to me, up to the point of importing the ffmpegX output .m2v file into DVD Studio Pro 4. It imports the file OK (does a little progress bar for a few seconds, then puts it into the Asset folder), along with the Audio (AC3) file. Linking up the menus is OK, etc. But when I run the Build, it gives me these errors (prints just after successfully compiling/muxing two other tracks that were from other encoders):

Compiling VTS#3 (wed422HQTitling.mov.ff)...
    Writing VTS_03_0.VOB
    Muxing VTS_03_1.VOB
    Internal Muxer Error

The muxer error happens every time I try building with anything output from ffmpegX/mpeg2enc (also tried ffmpeg encoder, same results). I have been looking for answers for awhile regarding the muxer error, and tried a few suggestions. It just seems like everything I transcode is giving this muxer error. I am using the DVD Profile, Standard Q Matrix, Field Interlaced, Denoise filter, 8000kbit rate, 29.97 frame rate, 720x480 NTSC. Here are the file settings (output from MediaInfo Mac) for this final .m2v file:

Report for file: wed422HQTitling.mov.ff.m2v

General / Container Stream #1
    Total Video Streams for this File.................1
    Video Codecs Used.................................MPEG-2 Video
    File Format.......................................MPEG Video
    Play Time.........................................2mn 30s
    Total File Size...................................138 MiB
    Total Stream BitRate..............................7 698 Kbps
    Video Stream #1
    Codec (Human Name)................................MPEG Video
    Codec Profile.....................................Main@M ain
    Frame Width.......................................720 pixels
    Frame Height......................................480 pixels
    Frame Rate........................................29.970 fps
    Total Frames......................................4509
    Display Aspect Ratio..............................4:3
    Video Standard....................................NTSC
    Scan Type.........................................Inter laced
    Scan Order........................................TFF
    Color Space.......................................YUV
    QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.713
    Codec Settings (Matrix)...........................Default
    Video Stream Length...............................2mn 30s 434ms
    Video Stream BitRate..............................7 386 Kbps
    Video Stream BitRate (Nominal)....................7 800 Kbps
    Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
    Bit Depth.........................................8 bits
    Video Stream Size.................................132 MiB (96%)

Any help would be appreciated, as I would love to use this ffmpegX tool for the encoding to .m2v for DVD. The output of Apple Compressor (v. 3.0.3) just isn't as good, after playing with its settings quite a bit. The output is too soft, and more noise at the same bitrate as mpeg2enc is producing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bbartley9 View Post
    Compiling VTS#3 (wed422HQTitling.mov.ff)...
    Writing VTS_03_0.VOB
    Muxing VTS_03_1.VOB
    Internal Muxer Error
    Not very descriptive, eh?
    I don't have DVD SP, so I'm not familiar with the error, nor can I test it myself.
    I suppose some muxing error could happen if some limit was exceeded, or one of the assets is not 100%.

Originally Posted by bbartley9
    I am using the DVD Profile, Standard Q Matrix, Field Interlaced, Denoise filter, 8000kbit rate, 29.97 frame rate, 720x480 NTSC.
    8000 kbps seems like a lot. No wonder you like the output.
    Does the error also occur for mpeg2enc encoded assets with a lower bitrate (say 4000)? It may not solve the problem, as it lowers quality perhaps too much, but it might help pinpoint the reason for the error, or exclude it as a reason.

Have you tried viewing/listening the elementary streams (m2v, ac3) all the way through? Are they both okay and full length? Do you notice any glitches? Can you preview this segment in DVD SP before the build; is it okay then? If you mux the streams with other tools, does that produce an error?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply... I did try 4000kbit yesterday as well, with the same result. DVDSP can preview it just fine, though I did not watch it all the way through in that viewer window. I can do that, and also double check in VLC if there are any glitches watching it all the way through. I have not tried any other tools for muxing, maybe I can do that with ffmpegX and see what happens. I don't think iDVD will accept .m2v files, otherwise I could try that too.

Regarding bitrate, I seem to get a lot of artifacts when the bit rate gets below 6000k or so, and this source is an older analog VHS tape with some noise. I am going to have to resolve to a reasonable rate in the end, when I go with the final 120 minute output (prob on dual-layer DVD to allow a larger file size and better quality). Incidentally, I tried MainConcept's trial version of the Reference encoder for Mac, and that output is wonderful (I will also try lower bitrates to compare), but the price is steeper than I can swing right now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to some help from digitalFAQ (Admin), this is working for me now. Looks like the "Interlace" setting under the Options tab was set to "Field" and this needs to be "Frame" in order for DVDSP 4 to mux it (with no internal muxer error).
    I just finished burning a DVD with a couple of test clips from ffmpegX output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good find! I always found that setting confusing (*), but now I'll note that it matters a lot for DVD SP.

(*) -I|--interlace-mode 0|1|2

Set the sequence picture structure and block encoding type for MPEG-2 streams. By default, this value is inferred from the interlacing tag of the input stream. Setting 0 encodes frame-by-frame with support for interlaced video turned off, and specifies that progressive chroma subsampling has been used. Setting 1 encodes frame-by-frame with interlace-adapted motion compensation and block encoding, and specifies that interlaced chroma subsampling has been used. Setting 2 encodes interlaced material field-by-field, which will produce more accurate results for highly textured interlaced material with lots of motion, at the expense of generally less efficiency.

This setting should match the interlaced-ness of the input stream, otherwise chroma artifacts may be generated when the MPEG stream is played back.
    Last edited by Case; 21st Aug 2010 at 04:15.
    Quote Quote