VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right spot to ask this question:

I'm trying to make a DVD label and I have a logo that I would like to place on top of the picture I have set to be printed on the DVD. The problem is, the logo has a big white square around it. I want to cut it out and when I open it in Epson's Print CD, i'd like it to be just the symbol - I've tried using preview to edit, but it leaves a black background on it for some reason?? Is there an easy way to do this with a mac? (I have the basics only when it comes to software).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    I use Epson print cd and use the Fscapture tool http://www.answersthatwork.com/.
    Go to this site - you can get the program for free.
    Click on software downloads (Type in fastone capture in search box. and you will see Fscapture program.)
    When you launch the program, click 3rd box from left and outline what you want to save.
    Save it my docs.
    When you want to put that pic on the cd, click "import picture" on Epson print cd page.
    You will have that pic and you can move it anywhere on the cd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe a paint program would help. you need to make the background of the picture into a clear gif. that would make it invisible when placed on top of something else.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The version I have (EPSON Print CD 1.40D) doesn't support transparency in pictures.
    To create the desired effect, I have to put the the logo in the background image using an image editor, and import that new background in Epson Photo CD.
    Paintbrush could do it, if you don't have any other fav image editor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the suggestions - I don't have any image editor at the moment, so if a free one can't do the job, i'll have to purchase something (which might be a good thing in the long run).

Case: I have version 1.2.1E - I'm assuming it's older than your version? Therefore it probably doesn't support transparency in pictures. I'll post back if something works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Psco2007 View Post
    I use Epson print cd and use the Fscapture tool http://www.answersthatwork.com/.
    Go to this site - you can get the program for free.
    Click on software downloads (Type in fastone capture in search box. and you will see Fscapture program.)
    When you launch the program, click 3rd box from left and outline what you want to save.
    Save it my docs.
    When you want to put that pic on the cd, click "import picture" on Epson print cd page.
    You will have that pic and you can move it anywhere on the cd.
    Unless I missed it, fastone capture seems to be windows only?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes and i don't think it would do what you need anyway, it's just a screen capture utility.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    yes and i don't think it would do what you need anyway, it's just a screen capture utility.
    Thanks, I'm looking into purchasing pixelmator - seems reasonably priced and well received...
    Quote Quote  
  9. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I don't know if it will work with Mac, but I will tell you that it will do exactly what DVDguy want to accomplish.
    Pic shows a cd with main picture and the imported screen grab on top of it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EPSON PIC FOR TECH GUY.jpg
Views:	9101
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	3173  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On "PrintCD" v2.00, when I import the logo, I right click it and choose 'Properties', select "Transparency" and pick the first box. Works great on the printed cd/dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tmelo38 View Post
    On "PrintCD" v2.00, when I import the logo, I right click it and choose 'Properties', select "Transparency" and pick the first box. Works great on the printed cd/dvd.
    That sounds easy! Is it possible to download that version? I haven't been able to find it for mac.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks - I'll post back with how it works out!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok, I downloaded it, and after I import the logo, I can't right click it. I went into the color settings and hit the "Transparent" box. The white outline becomes pixelated, rather than completely dissolved. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It also pixelates on some of my projects but it looks fine on the printed cd/dvd.
    I should mention I use Windows so it might be a little different. Try printing a test cd/dvd and see out it turns out.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by tmelo38 View Post
    It also pixelates on some of my projects but it looks fine on the printed cd/dvd.
    I should mention I use Windows so it might be a little different. Try printing a test cd/dvd and see out it turns out.
    Ahh, that is probably why the right click option didn't work...I did a print preview, and it does show up. I will try a test cd/dvd tomorrow and post back. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Print CD v2 package (thanks tmelo38) also supports PNG-24 transparency, i.e. jaggies and sharp edges can be avoided, using smooth transparency gradients and anti-aliasing.
    You may have to prepare your logo in an image editor after all, to get the transparency as part of the top image.
    Quote Quote