VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I borrowed a neighbor's tape-to-DVD converter (I think it was a Sony). As I watched on the TV each tape being recorded, the aspect ratio was the correct 4:3. When I played-back the DVDs, they were stretched on my TV into widescreen. I wanted to create a DVD with menus, but all my PC software displays the movies in widescreen. (The mediainfo and gspot utilities report the files are 4:3.) Is there any way to correct this for full-screen?

The IfoEdit results for my files are:

1. In the lines for vts_1 and vts_01 mine reads (4:3) (not specified perm.display);

2. In the files' video attributes, the "4:3" radio button is already checked.

3. In both files, none of the three Static boxes are checked.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the TV in 16:9 mode?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are no such settings for my TV.
    Windows has no such settings.
    Adobe Premiere has no such settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by weathervane View Post
    I borrowed a neighbor's tape-to-DVD converter
    Just what is on the DVD?

Is there a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB, IFO, etc files; i.e., a complete standard DVD fileset?

In any case, you might try to reauthor it, use a DVD backup to extract elementary streams: M2V video and AC3 (or MP2) audio, and reauthor.

When you import the video into the authoring app you should see what ratio it is. If it's wrong, use ReStream to change it -- only takes a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AlanHK: Restream complains that the vob I was going to test in Restream needs first to be demultiplexed first:

"ERROR! You're trying to retream a multiplexed file!
    Only MPEG2-elementary files are allowed!
    Demultiplex the video-stream first!"

What does it want?
    Quote Quote  
  6. it wants the elementary video stream (i.e. the video , without the audio)

you can use dgindex to demultiplex it , then feed the .m2v file into restream

if you want to multiplex it back with the audio, you could use imagompegmuxer, or muxman , or just reauthor using dvd authoring software
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DVD Patcher to change the Aspect Ratio on mpg and VOB files
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Great, guns1inger. Now, DVDPatcher says the VOBs are 720x480, 16:9. I can check 4:3 but what do I enter for Horizontal Size, and do I patch only the first header?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I borrowed a neighbor's tape-to-DVD converter (I think it was a Sony). As I watched on the TV each tape being recorded, the aspect ratio was the correct 4:3. When I played-back the DVDs, they were stretched on my TV into widescreen. I wanted to create a DVD with menus, but all my PC software displays the movies in widescreen. (The mediainfo and gspot utilities report the files are 4:3.) Is there any way to correct this for full-screen?

The IfoEdit results for my files are:

1. In the lines for vts_1 and vts_01 mine reads (4:3) (not specified perm.display);

2. In the files' video attributes, the "4:3" radio button is already checked.

3. In both files, none of the three Static boxes are checked.

Any suggestions?

Open the video IFO in IfoEdit, choose the video stream in the list, double click on it, and select "4:3 Pan and Scan" (Static box) and save the IFO.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great, guns1inger. Now, DVDPatcher says the VOBs are 720x480, 16:9. I can check 4:3 but what do I enter for Horizontal Size, and do I patch only the first header?
    Don't change anything but the aspect ratio, and patch the whole file. You will also have to make sure that your ifo files are correct as well (see previous post re: ifoedit)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK: Restream complains that the vob I was going to test in Restream needs first to be demultiplexed first:

"ERROR! You're trying to retream a multiplexed file!
    Only MPEG2-elementary files are allowed!
    Demultiplex the video-stream first!"

What does it want?
    It told you exactly what it wants.
    And I told you how to do it in my previous post.

Instead of trying to do surgery on the obviously screwed up files you have, demultiplex the video and reauthor using any of a dozen tools and you will have a correct working DVD file set in 5 minutes.
    Quote Quote