VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hello i have just bought a tv with a usb slot you can record from the tv on to stick and watch later
    what i am trying to do is copy a film from my laptop to the stick and play on the tv
    the format is mpeg2 ts i have no problem converting to ts the problem is when i record from tv you get the ts file and an rcd info file how do i create a rcd info file

here is an example of the rcd file when recorded from tv

PVRI #20100805-112511-0715-BBC TWO BBC TWO @‡| @‡}@‡|  ¾  É  Ê
    Í    l 100805 g<— &/  eng PVRIPVRI #20100805-112511-0715-BBC TWO BBC TWO @‡| @‡}@‡|  ¾  É  Ê
    Í    100805 gFX *ïö Æ eng PVRIPVRI #20100805-112511-0715-BBC TWO BBC TWO @‡| @‡}@‡|  ¾  É  Ê
    Í    100805 gQU ªì ¤ eng PVRI
    is there a way to read this better
    cheers
    Doug
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why do you need the RCD file? The TV won't play a TS file without a corresponding RCD file? Have you tried copying an existing RCD file with the same base name of your new TS file. If you need an accurate RCD file you could try a hex editor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dougvcd View Post
    hello i have just bought a tv with a usb slot you can record from the tv on to stick and watch later
    Very interesting. I've never heard of this ability before. Given how paranoid Hollywood is about something simple like region free DVD/BluRay playback, I'm absolutely amazed that any TV manufacturer was able to put this in their product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same deal here in Australia no macrovision or do not record flags work on Oz digital TV - most PVR's record MPEG2TS and you can transfer off to a PC etc except for the new "Freeview" models that are restricted ie you can't copy squat off them. But functionally they are no better than non Freeview models in fact they are worse, you can't copy of jump commercials like all the other no Freeview models.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    thaqnks for all replies
    i downloaded a hex editor but it didnt tell me what all the symbols ment so am none the wiser or should i use a certain hex editor sorry for being a bit vague but this is all new to me
    cheers
    Doug
    the tv is a 22" Digitrex from currys
    Quote Quote  
  6. A hex editor won't tell you what anything is but it will allow you to change the obvious text fields without disturbing the rest of the data. It might also allow you to deduce/guess what some of the other data is but you have to know a bit about the type of data structures used in that type of file and exactly what the hex editor is showing you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    cheers jagabo
    think this is a bit beyond me at the moment will have to give up i think
    but thanks for all your help
    Doug
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why do you need the RCD files?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    well i presume it wont play with out it
    what i will do is record a short prog and show you all the folders it gives etc
    Doug
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2118
Size:  9.5 KBName:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 2264
Size:  11.1 KBName:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 2102
Size:  10.6 KBok here is what i have after 5 mins the time folder is empty
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	3166
    Last edited by dougvcd; 19th Aug 2010 at 10:26. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the USB port on most TVs/Monitors is to play a slideshow of photos that are on the USB thumbdrive.
    RobertUSM
    Digital Memories - Video Transfer to DVD
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RobertUSM View Post
    I thought the USB port on most TVs/Monitors is to play a slideshow of photos that are on the USB thumbdrive.
    Some TVs actually can play files through it, but what is supported is often much more limited than the buyer realizes.

Apparently the original poster's TV can record video through it. I've never heard of this before and maybe such TVs aren't available in North America.

At this time, TVs aren't designed as "play everything" devices and we still need media players, BluRay players, etc. The original poster may end up never finding a solution.
    Quote Quote