VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have found the easiest way for me to successfully convert a NTSC DVD to a PAL DVD is as follows:Plug my home DVD player into the Video Capture card on my PC. Capture using Video software (I used Pinnacle Studio Version 8 - I believe newer versions can capture the video directly from the computer dvd player rather than the cable set up I used).Note: prior to capturing the video I had to make sure the Studio software was set to NTSC.Once the entire film was captured it is stored as an AVI file.In this instance - at 6000kps - the 1hr 40 min video AVI file was massive.I then opened the free SUPER program which was used to convert: the (NTSC - 30frames/sec) AVI file to a (PAL - 25 frames/sec) MPG2 file It became a fraction of the size.I then successfully imported it into my Video editing software "Studio" and rendered/burnt to a DVD disc.As it turns out I had to burn it to 2 discs as Studio reduces the quality if the content is over 1 hour in length.No problem as my hard disc drive TV tuner captured both 1 hour discs and is able to burn then to a single DVD.It may be a bit long winded for some, but it worked a treat for me.I previously tried one or two of the methods on this forum and they didn't work unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That might work, but it loses a lot of quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Absolutely...

Best way is to rip DVD on your PC and then convert FPS of the file you just ripped. There are a lot of sw that can do it, and I can ensure is quicker and more precise...
    Last but not least if you work with Movie-DVD you deal with 24p material converted in NTSC... Doing a 2nd fps conversion you reduce quality more and more... In those cases remember you should apply an IVTC filter (or a restore filter in general) before converting to PAL.
    Please experts, say it if I'm wrong...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Conversions from NTSC to PAL are rarely necessary as almost all DVD players and TVs in PAL land are able to handle NTSC video.

Note that many if not most video capture cards would not be able to handle Macrovision coming from the DVD player output. And for years now it's been almost impossible to find DVD players that can disable Macrovision so that means your capture card has to be one of the rare ones that can ignore it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep....completely unnecessary and a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Conversions from NTSC to PAL are rarely necessary as almost all DVD players and TVs in PAL land are able to handle NTSC video.

Note that many if not most video capture cards would not be able to handle Macrovision coming from the DVD player output. And for years now it's been almost impossible to find DVD players that can disable Macrovision so that means your capture card has to be one of the rare ones that can ignore it.
    My Panasonic DVD player with hard drive and tuner does play NTSC - but only after I change the settings each time. It was an absolute pain especially since the DVD in question was for my kids to watch - I definitely didn't want them to muck about with the settings.Not sure what you mean by Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I don't agree. I tried some of the other suggestions on this website and they didn't work OR I would have had to buy the extra software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It did work and was necessary since my hard drive/tv tuner/dvd player was defaulted to PAL and to play NTSC required numerous steps in the setup menu. ... .. .. .. .. As it was a kids DVD I wanted my children to watch it meant either mucking about with the settings every time or converting to PAL once and for all. .. .. .. I captured (and converted) at the highest rate possible and the quality loss was almost non existent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gusto747 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I don't agree. I tried some of the other suggestions on this website and they didn't work OR I would have had to buy the extra software.
    It's completely useless and a waste of time to convert NTSC to PAL......period.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by Gusto747 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It's completely useless and a waste of time to convert NTSC to PAL......period.
    My wife and children don't think so as they have been able to watch on the TV these shows at the click of the remote. Without this conversion the DVD would still be in the dvd case. Period.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Without you stating which country you are in, it makes it more difficult. I have been buying PAL dvd's for my 10 years in Canada, and simply slide the disc into the tray of my dvd player ($60-$90) and it appears on my NTSC TV, currentlly a 46 inch LCD Sony Bravia.

I cannot think of anything simpler. I have never encountered IRE issues (OR cannot recognize them) and have never had any problem.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    Without you stating which country you are in, it makes it more difficult. I have been buying PAL dvd's for my 10 years in Canada, and simply slide the disc into the tray of my dvd player ($60-$90) and it appears on my NTSC TV, currentlly a 46 inch LCD Sony Bravia.

I cannot think of anything simpler. I have never encountered IRE issues (OR cannot recognize them) and have never had any problem.
    Sorry about that. .. .. Perth Australia. .. .. .. I have one DVD that plays NTSC no problem but my Panasonic DVD player with the built in TV tuner and hard drive (so it is not that old) defaults to PAL and to play NTSC requires mucking about with the setup menu each time (back and forth). .. .. .. .. When I have finished playing my NTSC dvd I have to revert the player (via the setup menu) back to PAL in order to see the normal TV channels on my Panasonic TV. .. .. .. .. So for me it has been so much easier to convert the music dvd to PAL so it can be loaded onto the hard drive of the Panasonic so my kids can watch it at any time without the need to touch dvd discs [with their greasy little fingers ]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding another cheap DVD player in that room would have been even simpler.
    I have two players, for this reason. (Actually one's a recorder, for recording, the other is the player only.)

Only the player plays PAL, reason it was added.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where I am, all DVD players on sale branded or not can play PAL and NTSC without missing a beat, as well as all TVs on sale. That would have seemed the end of the PAL/NTSC krieg.
    But for at least a year now, editing HD programs, I get AVCHD and HDV clips that feature a multitude of resolution and framerate combinations: 50i, 60i, 59.94i, 30p, 25p, 1920x1080, 1440x1080. If all the clips involved in a project have one common framerate, my preferred NLE is Premiere Pro CS3, which is the one I legally have, of course, after duly converting all the clips to Cineform *.avi first.
    But I rarely have a project where there is at least one odd clip with a different framerate, where using Premiere's interpret footage function to match that one different framerate to the rest of the project's is lackluster at best. Because Premiere does not accept different framerate clips in a project, I turn to Sony Vegas Pro 8, which accomodates exactly the opposite. This is how I change framerates when savings clips as either 50i or 59.95i (PAL or NTSC), which Vegas does admirably well. You only notice the fps is not quite the original when playing back the changed clip in the slightly blurred frames, where Vegas interpolated inter-frame info.
    Does anyone here know whether or not Premiere Pro CS5 can now accept clips of different framerates in a project and handle them with finesse while changing and matching them to the project's if not the same? (I'm NOT talking about the facile interpret footage command.)
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Adding another cheap DVD player in that room would have been even simpler.
    I have two players, for this reason. (Actually one's a recorder, for recording, the other is the player only.)

Only the player plays PAL, reason it was added.
    I think I should emphasize the fact that I don't want my 4 y.o touching any DVD discs, so that is why I felt the need to copy the show to the hard drive of the DVD player/burner/tuner.

I have another DVD player that can play NTSC no problems BTW.

On further reflection, I think I have solved the mystery.

As the Panasonic DVD player/burner has a built in TV tuner, I believe the whole configuration is set up for Aussie conditions. The tuner must be receiving in PAL so the whole system must be set up just for this.

This must be the reason behind the unit not switching to NTSC automatically and why the whole TV signal mucks up if it remains on NTSC because the TV tuner is set to PAL.

I prefer the multiple use of a kids movie using the hard drive to using the DVD disc many times, any day.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote