VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I have a DVD that plays fine until it gets halfway through the 3rd vob, and then it stops playing. But, there are another 2 vobs in the disk, and file is not supposed to end where it does. When I play the vobs in vlc, when it hits the spot where it usually stops, the picture disappears and the playback progress bar jerks forward rapidly to the end of the clip. And, the remaining time for the clip gets all messed up, saying that it's 2 minutes into the clip when it's much farther in. Anyway, it seems like it might be a problem that can fixed with software, but I suppose I need to find out what the problem is before I can solve it. Has anyone else run into this issue? And if so, can you provide a possible solution! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like a damaged vob file. If you try playing the vob in question does the counter move?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, it moves up until about 1/2 way through the vob file, and then the picture cuts out and the counter stops. this is vob 3. there is also a forth and fifth vob file, neither of which will play in vlc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. and, of course, it does the same thing in any dvd playing software that i've tried. i.e. windvd and powerdvd.
    when the dvd mounts, the volume is 4.2 gigs. when i ripped it to the drive, in file mode, it was 4.2 gigs. when it ripped it in ifo mode, it was only 2.3 gigs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripped it how ? With what software ? Is this a commercial disc with protection ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    snuhmcsnort - I strongly advise you to tell us exactly what this DVD is. It sounds suspiciously to me that something like ARCCOS may have thwarted your attempt to rip it. Based on the title, we can tell what studio made it and know if ARCCOS is a likely problem. Answer guns1inger's questions too please if you are serious about getting your rip to work properly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. God Walking Among Mortals I♥♫♪♫♫♪♪♫'s Avatar
    Search PM
    Hmmmm. Scratched? Easy Peazy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is a DVD-R from a film museum of a very rare film. It was recorded from VHS onto a blank DVD-R.
    I used DVD Decrypter to copy the disk to my hard drive in hopes of repairing it, as the original DVD-R wouldn't play past a certain point.
    As mentioned above, I used both file mode, and ifo mode to copy it to my drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB2MPG or DGIndex. Get the content out of the VOBs so you can work with it. If necessary, edit it back together (you may find that nothing actually gets all of it in one go), re-author the video back to a VOB set, and use VOBBlanker to put it back into the original structure. Or simply use the video and author a whole new disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote