VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Forum members,

This is my first time here. I am getting increasingly frustrated watching - or should I say trying to watch - videos on the Internet. Even short videos are constant stop/start while the file is buffering.

I have a recent model HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with all the bells and whistles, Windows 7, etc. Is there something I can do to optimize my computer, or how it behaves when viewing videos that would stop this problem?

I am connected to the Internet via an internal hotel network (EzeStream), could it be the speed of the connection perhaps?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by SharonMary; 15th Aug 2010 at 23:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's the speed of the internet connection that causes buffering cause it isn't fast enough to keep up with the playback of the video.Only way to get less buffering and stuttering is a faster internet speed and welcome to the forums.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi johns0,

Thanks for the quick response. Pretty much as I suspected. It's a pretty cheap monthly access fee. I guess you get what you pay for!

Sharon
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ADSL2+ (20Mbps) and I have noticed lately that watching videos even small low res ones are stop starting buffering all the time... I can't work out why..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    I have ADSL2+ (20Mbps) and I have noticed lately that watching videos even small low res ones are stop starting buffering all the time... I can't work out why..
    Are you really getting 20 Mb/s? ADSL speeds vary depending on how far away you are from the central office and the quality of the wiring. Use a site like http://speedtest.net to see what you real speeds are.

And of course, having the fastest connection in the world will not help you if the video server is over burdened.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, i've never attained the theoretical maximum of 20Mbps but I get a consistent 12Mbps which should be ample for video streaming I would think. Perhaps the video server is overburdened as you suggest, I dont see what else it could be.
    Quote Quote