VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've done quite a bit of searching and feel I've got a decent handle of the approach to capturing VHS; however, when doing my research - all the instructions and software packages seem to be for PC, not OS X.

I can record fine from VHS to mpg via ATI software (650 USB Mac version) - but wanted to try something less lossy (e.g., Lagarith codec) to compare quality and size differential. I'm transferring old home moves and technical perfection isn't required - but if my untrained eye can see the difference, than I'm more than happy to invest in the time / resource required to go the non-ATI software route.

In some reading, I've read that avidemux is often used as a mac alternative to virtualdub; however, I can't find ANYTHING on using avidemux + ATI 650 to record the initial stream from VHS. Virdual dub instructions are pretty clear (get ATI running, then go to AVI capture in vdub, pick your codec, etc.). Either I need some other bit of software to do the initial capture or I'm just completely overlooking how to do it via avidemux in all of my searches.

I always hate to be the new guy posting when there is an answer out there - but for the life of me, I can't find it!! Feel free to point me to the obvious tutorial or prior thread that I've missed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - this site is a wonderful resource and I've learned a ton already - and am just getting started

Thanks!

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also, just for completeness - I tried running VirtualDub via parallels software that lets me run windows XP at the same time on my mac, and with ATI running on the mac side, virtualdub wasn't picking up the video source.

I then tried getting the ATI 650 to run on the Windows side, but given it is the Mac version, I couldn't get it to work. So, hoping to find a 'mac only' solution and avoid needing to get a different ATI unit to do it all on the virtual windows machine.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don`t know about Mac but on Windows this guide work well with ATI 650.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324396-Need-help-capturing-PAL-video-input?p=200894...=1#post2008942
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't really use Mac for this task.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote