VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi
    i'd like to know if it's possible and how, to convert a DTS hd track to DTS with BD rebuilder.
    i can only convert DTS HD to AC3 5.1.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably because of licensing for DTS. You can play it back, but not easily create or encode it. I just settle for AC 640Kbps. You can try Surcode, but it's not cheap and can be complex to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe BDRB in combination with TSmuxer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not possible within BDRB. And if you want to encode DTS, you're pretty much stuck with using Surcode.

Nevertheless, you *can* extract the core DTS, which can save you perhaps 2/3 the space. I just did one as a test and it saved ~ 3GB. Ostensibly, you should be able to do it with tsMuxer, but I've found it usually errors out. The key is to use eac3to with one of its GUIs, e.g. Clown_BD. Like this:

Scenario #1: You only want the main movie. That one's easy.

Extract main movie with Clown_BD and specify that the audio output be core audio. For DTS-HD (or MA), this means the output is DTS-ES. Feed the resulting files to BDRB, and specify it *not* convert DTS audio.

Scenario #2: You want full disc. This is a little harder but not too bad if the main movie is contained in a single *.m2ts file. I have done this and it works.

Rip the original full disc to hard drive. Now extract main movie with ClownBD, downconverting the audio (extract core audio). Open the original disc or rip in BDinfo and verify which *.m2ts is the main movie. Note down the exact title. Rename the *.m2ts file extracted with ClownBD and replace the original with the extracted one. Then as above, specifying that the DTS not be re-encoded.

Scenario #3: You want full disc and the movie spans several *.m2ts files. This one will be a pain in the butt. I confess I've never done this, but don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

You're gonna have to identify each (main movie) *.m2ts file with BDinfo and extract them separately, then replace the originals. Then as above with BDRB.

Good luck.

[EDIT] I often extract main movie with Clown_BD, downconverting the audio. This saves time and space when ripping, and BTW I simply hate menus and PUOs/forced trailers/warning screens. But it has another purpose. BDRB hates PiP (picture-in-picture) discs, and extracting main movie and downconverting the audio is just about the only way to get BDRB to re-encode them to BD 5/9; for some reason going to BD 25 is usually no problem [shrugs]. Then there are the occasional discs that BDRB simply chokes on because of something odd with the DTS-MA or True_HD audio, such as sync discontinuity or overlap.

One last thing: BDRB (and for that matter, player software like TMT) will incorrectly identify the core audio as DTS-HD, but Mediainfo will correctly I.D. it as DTS-ES.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 14th Aug 2010 at 20:08.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry, one thing I should add:

The above will work for scenario #2 and #3 if the menu is fairly simple, i.e. no java menus, no branching, no PiP. If BDRB chokes on the altered BDMV folder, it's necessary to use something like BDEdit to first insert the (extracted, downconverted) main movie *.m2ts file.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote