VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

Some of you guys may remember that I posted this a while ago: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314103-FPS-issue?p=1951749#post1951749

I am still having roughly the same issue, but I'll simply explain so you don't have to look at that link. I also have a feeling I am trying to do something that my camera is not able to cope with or I am trying to achieve something that isn't possible.

So, I am recording in 1920 x 1080 50i. I take the footage to my PC, copy it off and am able to play it in Windows Media Player 11 (or 12, not sure what version, I am on Windows 7). The details of the recorded files say it was recorded at 25fps and the footage is really smooth and crisp.

I then take it into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and do whatever it is I want to do with my footage (simple editing). I go to export with 1280 x 720 25fps settings and it just turns the footage into a mess of blur. The crisp smooth movement of whatever I record is gone and is replaced with horrible ghosting.

My question is, what encoder am I best to use to try and retain the smooth movement of my raw files? I have tried so many settings and so many encodes that I am losing my mind? Is the smooth crisp movement only obtainable if I keep the footage in its original format?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. you are probably rendering out progressive 25fps , so you are single rate deinterlacing

the original is 25fps or 50 fields per second . It's interlaced. Each second is represented by 50 motion samples instead of 25 , so motion appears smoother.

in order to render out the same motion samples, but progressive, you would have to double rate deinterlace (or bob deinterlace) to 50p
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    you are probably rendering out progressive 25fps , so you are single rate deinterlacing

the original is 25fps or 50 fields per second . It's interlaced. Each second is represented by 50 motion samples instead of 25 , so motion appears smoother.

in order to render out the same motion samples, but progressive, you would have to double rate deinterlace (or bob deinterlace) to 50p
    Hey Poison, many thanks for your response!

Are you able to shed any light into how I might 'double rate deinterlace' to 50p?

I'm using CS4 Premiere Pro. Can this be done within Premiere Pro or will I have to do this in a 3rd party program before bringing it in to Premiere Pro?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can do it in premiere, but using a 3rd party method like avisynth is better. Premiere's interlaced resize is very soft and quality is noticably lower

To do it in premiere render out 720p50 instead of 720p25 , and AME will take care of the rest for you
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey dude, thanks again.

Trouble is, I am a relative noob and don't know the first thing about making scripts or even running them for AviSynth.

What is AME?
    Quote Quote  
  6. adobe media encoder
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help, Poison.

Trying to teach myself how to use AviSynth. I think I have found a suitable filter.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Some avisynth deinterlacing filters are just as bad as Adobe's deinterlacing. Be careful.

Good ones (but very slow to process) would be tempgaussmc (and it's derivatives) , or yadifmod+nnedi2/3

Normally you would set it to bob deinterlace (so 1080i50 becomes 1080p50) , then resize after. You cannot do a straight resize on interlaced material (fields get all mashed up)
    Quote Quote