VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been downloading football games and often--but not always--notice video blurring whenever there is a lot of action. The bitrate of the MP4 files is a respectable 1500 Kbps and the format is PAL at 25 fps. Do I need to de-interlace the video to get smooth motion? If so, what mode (interpolate? blend field?) and what field order should I use (keep top field? Double framerate)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't waste your time. The motion detail was thrown away when the video was encoded to mp4. You cannot get back what was lost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Simply put: Action + 25fps (or 24 or 30) = BLUR. It is to be expected. You want sharpness with action, shoot+capture at 50/60fps (or higher if you can).

And then, like filmboss80 said, don't compress to a codec that uses lossiness+motion-estimation as it's main way of keeping the filesize down. Once again, it is to be expected in those situations.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "I have been downloading" .......... this phrase never ends well.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. That clears it up. Because MP4 technology is newer, I thought such video files were superior. Evidently not necessarily so. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what LordSmurf is intimating.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    He think means downloaded video files can be a source of endless problems due to incorrect encoding and such.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    That clears it up. Because MP4 technology is newer, I thought such video files were superior. Evidently not necessarily so. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what LordSmurf is intimating.
    LordSmurf is well known, in various video forums, for quality video. He is letting you know that downloaded video is most always not quality video and can be a source for problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yep, he's correct. I wonder why so many smart rippers edit ideo without regard for the I (key) frame. Maybe someone can post a simple tutorial on how to encode/recode video files without ignoring the essentials. It's not that difficult with so many free tools available.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    Because MP4 technology is newer, I thought such video files were superior.
    Just a newer compression scheme to cram more video into a smaller file size. Not necessarily better quality. (Depends more on bitrate and other encoding factors.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    Because MP4 technology is newer, I thought such video files were superior.
    The Bugatti Veyron is a state of the art automobile, but in the hands of dick . . . . .

Newer only means better if it is used as intended. Xvid is capable of far better quality than most downloaded videos lead you to believe as well, if used correctly.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes newer is just newer, period -- not better in any measurable (or realistic) way.

The narcissism of many people, for example, thinking we're smarter than our ancestors.
    We're really not any smarter than people 500 years ago. We just have more information.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote