VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought an EasyCap DC60 to record gaming on Xbox 360. I have all the programs and drivers installed correctly and it runs smoothly. I'm using A/V splitters the break the video output from the xbox into two outputs (one for the tv and one for the capture card). However, while i have the Xbox plugged into both my capture card and my tv, it darkens my tv screen and puts a lot of vertical lines going down my it. Though it seems to be just a problem for the picky people, it makes it very difficult to play.
    My Setup is: Xbox 360>Composite Cable>A/V Splitter>EasyCap & TV.
    Any suggestions? If there's no fix, I'm just going to buy a S-Video cable for my xbox, but it's another $10 i don't want to spend.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00984.JPG
Views:	1618
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	3055  

Quote Quote  
  2. Mind telling us what A/V splitter you have used?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Brand: Pyramid
    "RCA 'Y' Connector"
    I'm not sure about the quality of the splitters, but they were the only ones i could find on Amazon. And in most setup videos for the EasyCap, people uses couplers and other cables, but that was more expensive, so of course, being the seventeen year old that i am, i got the cheaper ones, they were only $1.99/pc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hmm... Are you talking about RCA Y-splitters? A picture will help...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by INEEDHELP423 View Post
    Yes. RCA splitters. One for the video and one for left and right audio.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-RY5-Female-Male-Adaptor/dp/B000J3I66S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8...1668414&sr=8-2
    You got two of this?

And it will be good if you have pictures of your setup especially how you are using the splitters...

PS: My gut feeling tells me that this is not the right way to do it... =X
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've got three. One for Video and one for EACH Audio, I'm sorry, i forgot to clarify that.

Name:	DSC00985.JPG
Views:	871
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	3056  

Quote Quote  
  7. Hmm... I think the problem lies in the fact that video signals are not meant to be split like this; I gotta leave this to the experts to decide. Audio is ok, tried and tested with my computer before. Also, make sure the cables are not loose...

You *might* need a real video splitter... Like this?

PS: If I am not wrong, what you have bought is not meant for audio splitting. It's meant for combining mono sound output to stereo inputs. For example, I have a mono VCR and wanted to use my soundcard to record its sound. My soundcard has only stereo input jacks ie red and white RCA jacks. I will use a male-male white RCA cable to connect from the VCR to the cable thingy you got. Then, I will connect straight to the soundcard. That way, when I record the sound, it can be heard on both speakers (left and right).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well thank you. i guess i'll get the s-video cable then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Err... I don't think the S-video cable can help... What type will you be getting?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, when an analog video signal is split, it gets weaker and the picture often becomes dimmer, or changes color, or becomes noisier unless the signal is amplified. A distribution amp may be necessary, but good ones like those darkarn suggested that handle video and audio cost $60 to $80 minimum.

[Edit] Although Microsoft's cable has S-Video, composite video, and stereo audio connections, and may be able to split the video signal, it could still turn out that the split video signal is too weak and you need an amplified splitter instead. The type of amplifier you need would depend on the TV's input connections.

Here is one just for s-Video, no composite video or audio. Maybe it is good enough for your purposes, but I can't say for certain. The manufacturer suggests it for VCRs, DVD players, and satellite boxes, so it should work for a game console.
    http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-sv.html

...but you may need one that can amplify both S-Video and composite because many CRT TVs don't accept S-Video. http://www.buy.com/prod/ce-labs-1-x-4-s-video-and-composite-video-distribution-vga-swi.../90117571.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2010 at 16:05. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well, I'm not 100% sure about it, but if Microsoft's S-video cable for xbox 360 supports simultaneous video output through the S-Video and composite, would that fix the problem? Or am I wasting more money?

Which, I'm not sure if it does or not, and can't seem to find it anywhere, it would be great information if any one knows, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INEEDHELP423 View Post
    Well, I'm not 100% sure about it, but if Microsoft's S-video cable for xbox 360 supports simultaneous video output through the S-Video and composite, would that fix the problem? Or am I wasting more money?

Which, I'm not sure if it does or not, and can't seem to find it anywhere, it would be great information if any one knows, thanks.
    That cable isn't really intended to split the video signal, only to provide a choice of video connections, so it is hard to say what will happen when both video connections are used at once. If the S-Video port and the composite video ports each provide a full-strength signal when both are in use, you will be OK. If the signal strength is reduced when both are used, you may have a problem. If the XBOX 360 only allows one analog video connection to be active at a time, it won't work as a splitter. Maybe you could borrow an XBOX 360 S-video cable from a friend to test it.

I had another thought. If your family still has a VCR that isn't being used much, there may be a low-cost way to splt the video signal from the XBox 360 composite cable you already have and get a better picture than what you have now. The VCR won't be used to record, just to split the signal. I have no idea if this introduces any delay, but if it costs you nothing, it might be worth a try.

You will need a VCR, the VCR's RF/coax cable and a regular male-to-male RCA composite AV cable.

1. Connect the RF/coax cable to the VCR and the TV.
    2. Connect the composite A/V out on the VCR to the EasyCap with the regular male-to-male RCA composite A/V cable.
    3. Attach the XBOX 360's composite cable to one of the VCR's A/V-in ports.
    4. Turn on the TV and the VCR.
    5. Set the VCR's source to the A/V line-in.
    6. Tune the TV to the channel (either 3 or 4) that the VCR was set up to use for RF.
    7. Turn on the PC and start the capture software.

If all goes well you should be able to see a picture on both the TV and the monitor and hear sound from both the TV and your PC speakers.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2010 at 23:47. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  13. That is a good idea, which i never thought of, and am definitely willing to try. However, a VCR? that might be tough around my house... but i got a thread going on Microsoft forums, and someone is telling it can be used for just that: http://forums.xbox.com/33808006/ShowPost.aspx

but now that you mention it, i'm going to see if i can't find a VCR around here. (Mines built into the tv... might that be a problem?)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INEEDHELP423 View Post
    That is a good idea, which i never thought of, and am definitely willing to try. However, a VCR? that might be tough around my house... but i got a thread going on Microsoft forums, and someone is telling it can be used for just that: http://forums.xbox.com/33808006/ShowPost.aspx

but now that you mention it, i'm going to see if i can't find a VCR around here. (Mines built into the tv... might that be a problem?)
    I looked at the link. The person who replied seemed pretty sure it would work, but if you can borrow a cable for testing, so much the better.

If the VCR is built into the TV, it probably won't work as a splitter. Since most people would use outgoing connections to connect their VCR to a TV, the only connections provided are likely just for input. However, the TV should still allow you to watch input from another VCR using RF/coax and channel 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Err... How would a VCR be in built to the TV? =/

First time hearing this...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
    Err... How would a VCR be in built to the TV? =/

First time hearing this...
    Example: http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-6313CE-13-Inch-Combo-Black/dp/B0001KUD8S
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, mines got VHS player and DVD player...

Name:	DSC00987.JPG
Views:	720
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	3083  

Quote Quote  
  18. i got the s-video cable today, and it works like a charm. ...and it's much better quality. thanks for the help, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i bought USB easy cap capture card 2.0 for my xbox 360 use for computer. And i have piture and do not hear any sound from my xbox 360
    what is my missing set up action to hear sound?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by perryabonza View Post
    i bought USB easy cap capture card 2.0 for my xbox 360 use for computer. And i have piture and do not hear any sound from my xbox 360
    what is my missing set up action to hear sound?
    Are you using the red and white RCA audio connectors?
    Quote Quote  
  21. yes i did, thanks that was not the problem. i was capturing on tv when i need video 1. now the video quilty isn't the best so thats my next assinment.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't know what your main display is (an HDTV?) but the composite output from the Xbox 360 will only be standard definition. It will also be interlaced.
    Quote Quote