VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does it have preference over +R or -R?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not perfectly clear what you're asking.

If you're asking can you put AVCHD on a double-layer DVDR (also called BD9), then yes.

I use Verbatim (MKM MediaID) DVD+R-DL. But I never before considered whether it matters, that is, AVCHD on +R-DL or -R-DL. Certainly, for DVD-Video, +R-DL is the way to go, because you can put the layer break where you want it, something impossible to do with -R-DL. At any rate, +R-DL works just fine.

Hope that helped.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, that's what I was looking for. So I guess I will stay away from -R.

Is it a matter of authoring software to choose where the layer break is (I am using Encore)?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You see, that's the thing. I dunno if placement of the layer break matters at all for AVCHD. If someone knows, please educate me.

When I create an image of a BD or AVCHD disc with ImgBurn, there's no prompt about layer break, and of course the file structure is different (UDF 2.50) from DVD-Video. Never a problem, they always play. For all I know, Blu-Ray players buffer more information, making any worries about layer-break pause irrelevant. But I don't know actually.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 11th Aug 2010 at 22:47.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For DVDR 5 + vs -, I don't think there is any difference. I use both.

For DVD 9, I don't know. I've only used +R.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Okay, I did a little digging. I searched udf 2.50+layer break. Here's the first thing I've ever seen that mentions the two together:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=7341

I'm thinking the first reply is correct, that BD/AVCHD is just a continuous data disc burned as UDF 2.50 file system. (And therefore the second reply is correct as well).

In which case, it shouldn't matter if you use DVD+R-DL or DVD-R-DL. If I had a -R-DL, I'd test it. Maybe I'll pick one up and have a go. Now I'm curious.

As a practical matter, +R-DL is definitely no problem, so go ahead and use those.

[EDIT] Great question, BTW.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 12th Aug 2010 at 00:44.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    cheerful - Why you should NOT use DVD-R DL unless you have no choice and you know for an absolute fact that your player simply refuses to play +R DL discs and will only play -R DL discs:

1) Compatibility of DVD-R DL discs is lower than DVD+R DL discs in general.
    2) DVD-R DL are difficult to produce, which makes them significantly more expensive than +R DL discs. They cost about 4 or 5 times as much as +R DL discs cost.
    3) DVD-R DL is kind of hokey in how it works and some burning programs in the past were reported to not be able to burn them correctly. Basically the layer break is weird and some burning programs were reported to not do it correctly. The ONLY program that I can personally verify can burn DVD-R DL discs correctly is ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My computer will crash, hard blue screen in Vista64 (hard reboot required), if a single file crosses the layer break while being played. I have to copy the data off the disc first.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks everyone. Now I know what to do: stick with +R DL. It will be a while before BD disc is affordable.
    Quote Quote