VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello people, I'm new to this forum and to A/V conversion and so on, but I don't really have any questions at the moment; I'd rather do some testing to find out whether I actually have anything to ask. I'm making SVCDs from MKVs with H.264 ISO/AVC video and dual language AAC audio and two SRT subtitles within, and attempting to create the resulting SVCDs with both audio channels and selectable subtitles. I've managed to get the video and dual audio working perfectly, but I don't know about the subs; the only good way to test whether I'm trying something that is doomed to fail, is to get a good test SVCD, with known good subtitles on it. Well, preferably one with CVD/I-Author style, and another with SVCD/OGT subs.

There apparently USED to be good sample files on the VCDImager website, but they're long gone; I can't find them cached, archive.org doesn't have them, nothin', nada. One was called test_svcd_ntsc.zip and the other was svcd_ogt_test_ntsc.zip. The pair would help me figure out whether I'm wasting time (and then I'd do the simple but ugly workaround, and burn them into the video... but I don't want to if it can be helped.)

This, I guess, is a problem with the main site as well, because the link on the SVCD info page is now dead. It's something that might help others in my situation, and believe me, I've tried to find these files. Could anyone help? Oh, and I posted this here, instead of VCD/SVCD, because it is my first post, thus "Newbie"

Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi zinc. welcome to the forum. a hint. in the future don't crosspost. one version of a question is enough and will be found/replied to if anyone can answer your questions.

as for svcd subs, you are a decade late.... the biggest resource for dvcd was probably doc mercury's svcd.cc site but it's long gone along with most other svcd things. all i can remember for subs was that the dvd2svcd program can incorporate both kinds of subs, but not all svcd players can handle/play them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah, sorry about that. I had noticed many questions with no replies, when searching for info about conversion... underestimated forum volume, didn't I?

Yeah, I know SVCD format is outdated. However, when you have lots of time, hundreds of blank CD-Rs (for free!) and absolutely no disposable income, ... it's something to burn some time on.

I'm fairly sure that I'm doing it right, and have all tools I can find to use, but ... well, would one not expect a DVD player that has VCD 2.0 and SVCD 1.0 support, on the box, to support at least one type of SVCD subtitles?

Ah, maybe not. I'll keep looking... hey, even if someone made some known-working, tiny svcd images it would help.

I won't crosspost more, of course. I probably won't even ask other questions -- have learned how to convert formats to MPEG2 and so forth in the last 3 nights, mostly searching this forum; I prefer to search for myself unless I totally hit a wall, which is the case now. Try a search for something like this on Google etc. and see what you find? That's why...

Thanks for the info.

Edit: DVD2SVCD, I have it but it uses WinSubMux, which I'm using manually. Also uses VCDImager, I believe, which could be a problem. The 4 remaining suspects: 1) user error, 2) player incompatibility, 3) too high audio bitrate, 4) image created with VCDImager. I recall reading "If bitrate's too high, subs won't show" (paraphrased) and also "VCDImager 0.7.12 (latest Win port) can break subs when authoring - Nero can work better" (also para). So... yeah, I really need well-authored test images
    Last edited by zinchronized; 11th Aug 2010 at 09:50. Reason: More
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have dvd2svcd and can get it working it might be worth using to create one with subs. then at least you'll have more info about what works or not. at least you dont' have to use i-author, pub-enc, and cdmage to get subs, unlike 5.1 audio

if i run across an old svcd with selectable subs i'll let you know. i don't recall any of the 100s i have to contain them though, burned in permanent ones were normally used.

if your player supports divx it's a more commonly used cd format these days.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's good advice; I'm trying it shortly... BUT I realized that in my previous attempts, I did something very odd, and it somehow worked: SVCD with MPEG2 video @ 720x480. How the hell did THAT happen?

That's definitely way off spec, of course it might be the problem. I'm surprised it even played.

I would like to say it supports DivX, but ... the only reason I have a DVD player at all, even this late, is because I found one that also definitely plays SVCDs, for $25, new. Last week, seriously, I started moving from the age of VHS So anyway, it's a cheapie and probably won't support DivX; it's not in the manual either. Only DVD, VCD 1.0(?) / 1.1 / 2.0, SVCD 1.0, and JPEG are listed. I almost would take it apart, if it was out of warranty, to check what chips this SD3300KU has inside...

Thanks for the reply.

edit: Ah, it's an XSVCD! Still might be the cause of subtitles being unselectable. Building a new SVCD now, will post success/failure when I test it.
    Last edited by zinchronized; 11th Aug 2010 at 12:02. Reason: note
    Quote Quote  
  6. Gah. Still no good... guess the player is non-conformant?

My subs, both OGT style and CVD, show up in VLC when viewing the SVCD from the computer it's authored on (and are decoded properly if the debug messages are accurate) ... so I have to start from scratch; perhaps a lowest-common-denominator authored SVCD might work.

Low bitrate video, low-as-possible audio (both CBR), only ONE subtitle and audio track, and I'll also try PBC on/off with each other setting change. Man oh man, this is so frustrating. I do intend to write some detailed instructions down if I ever get it right. Since almost everything I'm using (except the video stream re-encode) is command-line stuff, perhaps I should make a guide...? I'd hate to waste all this experimentation and research.

...of course the compatibility (clearly, it's inconsistent) of NTSC players means at least part of it's only applicable to my current setup, so...

Oh well. To be continued when progress is made!
    Quote Quote