VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DVD Flick is a popular freeware tool for basic authoring and burning of DVDs. From what I can tell, it is reliable and has a small footprint. But...

There is a limit to the number of titles one can import into a project. If you tend to take many 30-second video clips with your camcorder then you will only be able to import enough files to fill up a project with about 30 minutes of video, which is only half of a DVD. However, if it were possible to merge titles (video files), then one could combine some of the imported video clips into a single title, make room for adding more titles to the same DVD.

Is there a way to do this in DVD Flick? The most intuitive way, it seems, would be to simply select two adjacent titles in the list and click on a merge button (if it existed). Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Add the first title. Double click the title to edit it's properties. Click on Video, and you can add more clips to the title. By default you will get a chapter point at the start of each clip. There is a 99 chapter limit in DVD titles, so you may be limited to adding up to 98 clips.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's great - thanks! I wish, though, that there were some way to move clips among titles within the provided interface. The existing interface requires me to know ahead of time (without seeing the first frame) which clips I want to group into the same title. If I have several clips that all depict the same scene or event, I'd like to group those together. AFAIK, the interface doesn't facilitate that. I realize this is a bare-bones authoring tool, and not really an editing tool, but it seems like a small leap in functionality to realize that valuable capability.

Can anyone recommend a very basic but reliable editor/authoring tool? Vegas and Director both have much more capability than I need. I don't mind payware, but I just don't want to pay for a lot of features I'll never use. Is there something simpler that get's the job done?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas Movie Studio is a solid option for starters who may wish to progress further with time without putting in a big outlay. Others are this end of the market include Premiere Elements, VideoStudio X2 *might be up to 3) and Magix Video Editor.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the pointers. I purchased Magix Movies on DVD 8. In general, it has the right feature set for my needs (simple and basic), and I like using a storyboard interface, but I find this one to be awkward and slow.
    Problems:
    1) scenes can be split but not joined (!)
    2) chapters are automatically assigned and then modified only through an advanced screen
    3) minor changes (e.g., removing a chapter marker, splitting a scene) require 60 seconds with the hard drive whirring the whole time (using a system with 4GB RAM, so why all the hard drive shenanigans? - it should just be a quick metadata change)

I will look into Premiere Elements and VideoStudio as you suggested. I've been circling around Vegas Movie Studio and PowerDirector, so I may try trial versions of those. I should have tried Magix before I purchased it (caveat emptor I guess).

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Movies on DVD isn't meant to be a full on editor. Their editing product is Movie Edit Pro. That would give you the freedom you want.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Actually, I can manage without joining scenes, and the advanced screen for modifying chapter markers is awkward but adequate. The software would be usable for my purposes if I didn't have to wait 60 seconds for each operation. That is the kicker.
    Quote Quote