VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a TOSHIBA SD-6100 dvd player. I was told it was "region code free". I bought the MUSE - ABSOLUTION TOUR dvd. It is for "coded" Region 3 and will not play due to "region code error". How do I get this dvd player to be "region code free" ?? I have a remote (SE-R0313) that came with the dvd player. I have been told there are ways to get the dvd player "code free" by using the remote. I'm 55 and not up to snuff on this technology. If anyone knows how to do this it would be greatly appreciated !!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This thread would be better in our DVD & Blu-ray Players Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you bought it in a brick and mortar store like Best Buy, you were lied to. None of the major manufacturers ship region free DVD players. Hollywood would flip out if they did. Note that some stores and sales people will lie to you to get a sale and tell you that a DVD player can "easily" be made region free when in fact it cannot be made region free at all. It happens. Not all DVD players can be made region free. In the USA and Canada I'd say that these days the majority cannot.

Anyway, we have a hack listed here that might work for you:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/toshiba-sd6100/9263

I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, but this thread seems to suggest a somewhat different method. The only problem is that nobody on this thread seems to understand what they did, so I would definitely try this ONLY if the above doesn't work.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/704411

Although it is unusual, you should be aware that in a small number of cases some people have reported ruining their DVD players after entering a hack. You do so at your own risk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much. I will give it a shot. Also, you may know about this, I see a lot of advertisements on the internet of places selling DVD players that are "region code free" and "format" free. They claim that these DVD players will play "ALL" codes and both PAL and NTSC formats. Are these claims on the up-and-up, does the customer have to jack with the remote to "hack" it, or are the claims just plain bogus ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the model and the seller. Some smaller vendors who sell on the internet (not in stores) do indeed sell true region free DVD players. But any physical chain store such as Best Buy, Frys, etc. will not sell any players as region free in the store. You may be able to find hacks for some models after you go home. In general Philips and Pioneer models are probably the easiest to hack, but that doesn't mean that all models by those companies can be made region free. Sony and Samsung are right now almost impossible to make region free with only a very few of their players being able to be made region free. Everyone else basically falls in the middle.

Oppo and Momitsu do make BluRay players that are region free for DVD and BluRay playback and are sold in the USA. In the case of Momitsu, the seller has modified the hardware of the player after getting it from the manufacturer to do region free playback. In the case of Oppo, you'll need to buy and install a hardware hack yourself or find a vendor who can do it for you. But neither Oppo nor Momitsu ships their players from the factory in region free mode.
    Quote Quote