VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have more than 25 recorded videos copied from my DVR hard disk drive and they do not have an "Extension name" or a "File type". Using WindowsXP, the details for one of the videos are:
    Type of the File: File
    Description(file name): 00000000
    Size: 1,458,493 GB

I tried using VLC, KMplayer, K-lite Codecs but it doesn't work. I wonder if there is a special video player to make it work perhaps or adding an extension name to it?

I can upload the file and paste the link here if necessary but it would take some time.

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open one with MediaInfo. It will tell you what the container is. Then rename the files with the right extension.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Open one with MediaInfo. It will tell you what the container is. Then rename the files with the right extension.

Thanks for replying

I just opened the file with Mediainfo but it doesn't show me any extra details, I checked all different view types Basic, Text, Sheet, HTML etc and they're all the same

This is what it shows in in sheet

CompleteName : I:\showbox drive F\SVOD\REC1515849334DIR\REC.TST\00000000
    FileSize/String : 2.00 GiB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh, I missed that you copied these from a DVR. You're may be out of luck. They go to great lengths to lock content to the DVR. Maybe if you say what DVR you have someone will come up with something.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Oh, I missed that you copied these from a DVR. You're may be out of luck. They go to great lengths to lock content to the DVR. Maybe if you say what DVR you have someone will come up with something.
    My DVR's original model name is "Multichoice DSTV PVR" made in South Africa, however, Showtime Network bought their hardware and changed its name to "SHOWBOX DVR 30015"

here are some pictures of both, they look exactly the same, even the remotes

http://www.eepublishers.co.za/view.php?sid=6810

http://img20.imageshack.us/i/showbox.jpg/
    Quote Quote  
  6. The fact that MediaInfo doesn't show anything about the container indicates it is not any common A/V file format. Or that it is encrypted and you'll need to find some decryption software.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Aug 2010 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote