VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to burn an open source movie to a blu ray disc. What is the minimum folder structure that must exist on a blu-ray disk for any standard blu-ray player to play it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use a proper tool to make it don't just create a folder and burn it.

Use multiavchd or tsmuxer for starters.

Did your burner come with authoring software? There are payware packages available also the ones I mentioned are freebies.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you recommend a free blu-ray ripper? I've searched and seen many on and off videohelp.com. One required the AACS keys. One app got the keys but screwed up my CD-ROM configuration. Any help would be appreciated. My favorite payware is DVDFab. Works great although for a lifetime license is over $100. If there really isn't any mature product that is free-ware, that's cool. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you have DVDFab, you already have a Blu-Ray ripper, no? I don't have it so I dunno if they charge extra for BD decryption. But the free version is also supposed to decrypt Blu-Rays, although it may take some weeks for the free version to get updated for latest protections. At least that's what some members here say.

I use DVDFabPasskey, which is beta and free for now, and works pretty much like AnyDVDHD. It has not failed yet on any disc I've tried.

[EDIT] I should add that AFAIK, the only reliable BD rippers are AnyDVDHD and DVDFab/DVDFabPasskey. They're the only game in town. I'd be dubious about shelling out any dough for anything else. IMO, DumpHD, although free, is just not on.

Oh yeah, MakeMKV is technically a BD ripper and is free (for now), but it only rips to MKV.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 11th Aug 2010 at 22:20.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I thought too. The opening menu of DVDFab7 says that HD Decrypter is enabled, free edition and never expires. I highlight it, then click StartDVDFab and my menu appears at the left. If I click "Clone", then I get the message "The blu-ray to blu-ray option is expired" which is expected. If i click Main Movie, it attempts to read the disk but then says "I need to renew or purchase". If I click Full Disc and click Next, nothing happens. I guess I'm confused about the function of HD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's been ages since I used DVDFabHDDecrypter (the freeware version), but if I remember correctly, some folks have had your problem, they choose the free version and it doesn't stick for some reason. But someone more familiar with that program may care to comment.

Anyway, DVDFabPasskey is perfectly simple. It runs in the background (a la AnyDVDHD). Just copy/paste the contents of the disc to a folder on your hard drive. Or run something like Clown_BD to extract main movie if you'd rather. I often do the latter, saves time and hard drive space.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 12th Aug 2010 at 21:00.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote