VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For starters, I can connect my laptop up to my telly with an HDMI to DVI cable.

I only see an HDMI out on my laptop and my DVD recorder isn't HD. I could have bought an HD one but the thought of the size after recording put me off. Plus I don't care if it's not HD anyway.

Any way to do it using HD cables?

Edit: Want to hook the laptop up to a telly and then record it with an external recorder (in this case a DVD recorder)

Edit again. 1 more thing; The DVD recorder has 2 HDMI slots at the back along with component slots, etc
    Last edited by xtube; 8th Aug 2010 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your laptop has VGA output you can get an inexpensive VGA to s-video/composite scan converter. HDMI/DVI to s-video/composite is much more expensive.

S-video and composite resolution is far less than any computer display. About 640x480. Desktop text will not be very readable:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/283861-VGA-to-S-video?p=1756748&viewfull=1#post1756748
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your laptop has VGA output you can get an inexpensive VGA to s-video/composite scan converter. HDMI/DVI to s-video/composite is much more expensive.

S-video and composite resolution is far less than any computer display. About 640x480. Desktop text will not be very readable:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/283861-VGA-to-S-video?p=1756748&viewfull=1#post1756748
    I hate how you need this and that. I thought DVD recorders simply recorded what was on screen. I thought you just connected your DVD recorder to anything that produces a picture (IE the telly) and that would be it (IE it would record anything that produces a picture connected to it). DVD recorders really are awkward and crap and a complete waste of money. Or are they deliberately designed this way for legal reasons? I've got enough cables as it is man!

An old VCR is better!

Edit: You go out and buy a DVD recorder (it says recorder!!) and yet you have to buy these weird cables just to record things!
    Last edited by xtube; 8th Aug 2010 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD recorders only record standard definition video (much like a VCR), not high definition video or computer output. DVD only supports standard definition too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD recorders only record standard definition video (much like a VCR), not high definition video or computer output. DVD only supports standard definition too.
    I don't remember having this prob with VCRs during the Snes ara though. DVD recorders... always having to buy other cables and far too many cables trailing all over the place... too much plugging cables into other cables, etc
    Quote Quote  
  6. SNES was standard definition and used the same standard def cables as other standard def devices.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Aug 2010 at 00:10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What about usb? My DVD recorder has 1 usb slot. Is there any way I might be able to capture the computer screen that way?

Edit: It has 2 ways of connecting to a PC, a small usb and the normal usb.
    Last edited by xtube; 11th Aug 2010 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by xtube View Post
    DVD recorders... always having to buy other cables and far too many cables trailing all over the place... too much plugging cables into other cables, etc
    Complete nonsense.
    Quote Quote