VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. I'm looking for a dvd player which support HD video via usb. The problem is most of dvd player only support FAT32 file system which limit the video size to 4gb. Is there any player that support NTFS or other file format to make it possible for me to play HD video?

List of feature I need from DVD player:
    -1080 upscaling
    -HDMI output
    -play HD video from USB device

I have budged around US $120, is it possible to buy dvd player which satisfy features I mentioned above with that budged?

Thx before
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVD players limit incoming file size to 720x480 or 720x576.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There may be one or two out there that do support playing video files from USB at HD resolutions, but they're most likely quite rare. It's far less likely that any of them support anything other than FAT disk formats.

You might try some of the 'play anything' hardware like the WDTV, though that doesn't have a physical DVD player.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    so you're saying currently there is no dvd player which able to play HD video via USB?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    There may be one or two out there that do support playing video files from USB at HD resolutions, but they're most likely quite rare. It's far less likely that any of them support anything other than FAT disk formats.

You might try some of the 'play anything' hardware like the WDTV, though that doesn't have a physical DVD player.
    What's the price of WDTV? Is it similar to PlayonHD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bakzh0 View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    so you're saying currently there is no dvd player which able to play HD video via USB?
    They won't accept HD files at all. They just upscale SD.

WDTV models range $70-$130

A PS3 will play DVD/Blu-Ray discs and HD files (certain formats) from USB2/Ethernet.
    Last edited by edDV; 8th Aug 2010 at 01:08.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by bakzh0 View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    They won't accept HD files at all. They just upscale SD.

WDTV models range $70-$130

A PS3 will play DVD/Blu-Ray discs and HD files (certain formats) from USB2/Ethernet.
    I see. There is no hope for DVD player to play HD video Thx for all your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll piggyback on this instead of starting a new thread.

I'd like to get a DVD player that will interface via USB with a NTFS hard drive so I can give all my documentaries to my dad to watch on his tv. I don't think he'll watch them on his computer. I'm told that just because a player has a USB port doesn't mean that it will recognize, say, a 1TB drive. Is that right? Are there ones that will? This might be a better buy than a WDTV unit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to get a DVD player that will interface via USB with a NTFS hard drive so I can give all my documentaries to my dad to watch on his tv.
    As above, not likely to find a NTFS>USB drive that a set top player will see. A set top player may recognize a 1TB drive, but it would still have to be formatted in FAT32. I think the WD unit, or similar would be a better buy.
    Try SwissKnife for that. http://www.compuapps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112wiss-knife-v322&catid=48:drive-managment&Itemid=193

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought 3 Seiki BD660 at Walmart Canada when it dropped to $49 a piece a month or so ago. It accepts NTFS formatted drives and some HD content. I tested usb drives up to 500mb. My 1tb died on me 2 months ago so I couldn't use it. There's a thread on this unit started by oldfart13. Not sure how widely available it is though.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/321596-Seiki-BD660-Wal-Mart-Canada-88!

Last edited by gll99; 4th Jan 2011 at 17:14.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i recently bought a lg550 bluray player which can play ntfs and fat32 MKV divxplus avi avchd TS bluray dvd and only cost $150au the only limitations is no wifi /dlna but can connect via internet cable oh and upscales dvd nicely and quick loading

edit: it's got a usb at the front and plays my 1tb drive nicely
    Quote Quote