VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings, All!
    I am using the venerable DVDShrink 3.2, and have been experiencing some odd issues.
    I've used DVDS for years with nary a hiccup. But a few weeks ago, for some reason, it began doing the following:
    A. Running the preview pane in slo-mo (regardless of which renderer I choose).
    B. Simultaneously, no sound can be heard when previewing.

I can SOMETIMES get a normal-speed playback if I choose S/PDIF for audio and System Default Renderer for video.
    However, there is still no sound. I have tried every conceivable combination of settings. I have un/reinstalled. Nothing works.
    AND, I can find no reference to anybody else ever having had this problem. HELP!!

Your faithful servant,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hard disk failing. .replace hard disk

Rollback and restore

Re-install windows

re-install gfx card .. hardware (different slot) Software drivers

Defrag (new) hard disk
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be that your hard disk is failing. But there may be other reasons why DVD Shrink is running slowly for you.

1. Your system may have reverted into PIO mode. Make sure DMA mode is enabled under your IDE/ATAPI controllers. A few years ago, it was taking me an hour to burn a DVD because my system had reverted into PIO mode. Once I re-enable DMA mode, my burning speeds were back to normal.

2. Your hard drive could be heavily fragmented, although I doubt this would slow things down that much.

3. You may have too many processes running in the background that are eating up all your memory, including spyware and/or viruses. Run your antivirus program, or download one if your license has expired. I recommend Spybot, it's the best free antivirus program out there. After you run your antivirus programs, be sure to disable them. They could be what's eating up some of your memory.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys, but I think we have a failure to communicate. DVD Shrink RUNS fine, in itself; no slowdown in processing. The video in the preview pane is the ONLY thing running slow (with it's attendant loss of sound), and with the (occasional) exceptions I listed. Also (and I have no idea if this bears on anything), DVDShrink and the files I am working with reside on two separate drives, and have for at least two years. DVDS is installed on my main OS drive (75GB), while my movie files are on a newer, separate HDD (160GB). I do utilize a few AV/malware killers, but I've had them running concurrently with DVDS dozens, if not hundreds, of times. On average, I usually have only about 40 processes running, +/-. This peculiar behavior began only a few weeks ago, and to the best of my recollection, I had made no changes immediately prior.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the only problem your having is the preview function not working properly? Is it taking any longer to run an analysis, compress video, or directly copy your DVD with no compression?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had that exact problem, oh years ago, and if I remember correctly, I hadn't changed a thing. It came out of the blue. Now, I may be a little hazy on this, but if I recall, I uninstalled, cleaned out the app settings for Shrink, ran a registry cleaner, and re-installed. Then made sure in preview settings that audio was set to stereo and video to system default renderer.

If that fails, I'd run dxdiag to see if DirectX is maybe stuffed. And run system file checker (sfc /scannow) too, couldn't hurt.

Other than that, what RabidDog says is quite possible. I've had slowly failing hard drives corrupt drivers, even when hard drive diagnostics show nothing. Re-installing drivers works for awhile, then they get corrupted again, particularly GPU drivers. When the problem recurs, time to start clean.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, tried all suggestions (short of replacing the drive; that's last resort). I have even installed it on a different HDD (knowing that yes, certain portions will still reside on C:. )Same issue exactly. I am 100% flummoxed.
    Quote Quote