VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 8 years after, I have the same question, since my video player only likes 4:3 and 16:9.. is it possible to add black bars (source is either AVI-Xvid or MKV-x264) without reencoding?

The final format/container would be either AVI or MKV.

If reencoding is necessary, what would be the best tool to do this kind of job? (In case I'd reencode I'd use x264.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not use old threads,i have moved your post to a new thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. not possible, need to re-encode

you could use uncropmkv or multiavchd , or basically all x264 front ends allow you to add borders (e.g. ripbot, megui, staxrip, handbrake, xvid4psp etc...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or get a better video player - I have yet to see one that cannot take avi or mkv files at any resolution and not be able to add the correct letterboxing or pillarboxing to fit 4:3 or 16:9m output. It is only when you are trying to author a DVD or AVCHD/Bluray that correct letterboxing or pillarboxing is required.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    not possible, need to re-encode

you could use uncropmkv or multiavchd , or basically all x264 front ends allow you to add borders (e.g. ripbot, megui, staxrip, handbrake, xvid4psp etc...)
    Thanks, but I don't think it's possible with Handbrake, for example. I tried it when I had it installed and also read this on a forum..

So before I try each of them and install all kinds of stuff on my PC (which I hate doing, but is required just to make one of those programs run) I'd rather have a confirmation from someone who did the exact same job.
    Quote Quote