VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I would like to see for myself the effects of meddling with X.264 parameters by encoding uncompressed sequences (CIF, y4m format downloaded from Xiph.org). To my surprise, my favorite frontend (avidemux) does not open y4m sequences. Is this an X264 limitation or Avidemux's (or maybe it's my own)?

Any tips on how to get around this, or a better (and fast) way to learn how X.264 paremeters will affect my output on practice?
    I'm running avidemux on windows 7, 32 bits.
    Quote Quote  
  2. it's avidemux limitation

you can use commandline x264.exe

or use avisynth rawsource() (if you like avidemux gui, you can use it through the avsproxygui)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you

Where can I find a good guide on getting started with the command line?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you try ripbot264?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I haven't. My idea is to later encode video in real-time for streaming (real-time meaning straight from cameras). Will ripbot be appropriate for that too? Shouldn´t I avoid installing too many codecs in my system in order to avoid incompatibilities later on?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You need hardware capture card capable of capturing uncompressed for real time streaming , and to program an interface or filter chain that can utilize x264 (maybe through graphedit).

Not easy to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need hardware capture card capable of capturing uncompressed for real time streaming , and to program an interface or filter chain that can utilize x264 (maybe through graphedit).

Not easy to do.
    Thanks for the tips . One step at a time I think I can get there. Maybe I'll be able to help others by then.
    Quote Quote