VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having problems encoding my files. I encode my files overnight so it doesnt disturb my computer time, and so I dont disturb the encode, but I wake up and have this error.

Now here is the problem. It DOES NOT Recover and encode further. Basically I had the computer "working" all night for a partial encode.

Here is the kicker, it works only with older versions, I'm talking 1.7.5. It was normally the older versions that had this problem, but maybe MUCH older versions.

I have turned off screensaver, left all my hdds running (no power save mode) thinking it was the multitasking that created this livelock. Didnt work.

Here is the confusing kicker... It does it alot of the time, but not EVERY time, but it pisses me off to wake up and find no files converted.

I am using small avi clips, 20 seconds to 2 minutes. They are MTS files encoded to avi x264. The audio is source audio, which is where I have my suspisions about the problem according to some googling.

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. overheating ? check your temps

can you complete even 1 clip normally with those settings (not queued up, but encoding directly) ?

What settings did you use?

Is there an error message? or does vdub just hang ? what happens if you use another encoder (e.g. xvid)?

It does it alot of the time, but not EVERY time, but it pisses me off to wake up and find no files converted.
    Does this mean it works sometimes? (i.e. it completes the entire queue successfully?)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I haven't seen that problem. I've been using 1.9.9 for a while now. If you encode during the day set VirtualDub to idle priority and minimize it. You'll barely be able to tell it's running.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    overheating ? check your temps
    Doesnt seem to be overheating. I will have to try an encode after work and see, but idle is only 40 degrees

can you complete even 1 clip normally with those settings (not queued up, but encoding directly) ?
    A normal encode works fine. It made me think that it was the screensaver or power mode that was turning on and interrupting the queue.

What settings did you use?
    I use avisynth to resize, crop 2 seconds of vid, and delay audio. The I use a 2 pass encode using x264.

Is there an error message? or does vdub just hang ? what happens if you use another encoder (e.g. xvid)?
    No error message, just in the command promt (I am using vdub.exe command) shows me that "error" about possible livelock. I have used Aimersoft, Premiere, and Cool Edit on batch lists overnight and no problems.

It does it alot of the time, but not EVERY time, but it pisses me off to wake up and find no files converted.
    Does this mean it works sometimes? (i.e. it completes the entire queue successfully?)
    Ya, I thought I had the problem licked by disabling the screensaver, but It wasnt fixed.

@ Jagabo. I could do that, but I sit at the computer maybe an hour or 2 per day. I wouldnt be finished with any videos until 2012 . Using "Deshaker" to clean up some vids and it takes about 45 minutes for 30 seconds of video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure that you are using the queue and x264 1st, 2nd pass settings for vfw correctly ?

For example, can you complete a queued 2 pass list with xvid vfw ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure that you are using the queue and x264 1st, 2nd pass settings for vfw correctly ?

For example, can you complete a queued 2 pass list with xvid vfw ?
    1st and 2nd pass settings are correct. Like I said, it works sometimes, sometimes not. AND....it works no problem with older versions of vdub.
    Quote Quote