VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys, is there any suggestion that you could give me to watch and record tv prgrams from my cable box/time warner cable USA ?

Is there any software/patch that could help me to watch more channel from time warner cable using a PC that bypass the cable box ?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the first question = QAM tuner > info (This dose not include encrypted channels)

To the second ... none
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I second the previous post. There is no way to decrypt encrypted digital channels using software.

There is a good selection of TV tuner cards that can tune analog and/or unencrypted digital cable (clear QAM) channels for a PC. In the USA, what is typically available in clear QAM is limited to the equivalent of basic cable (locals and a few others). Some people have more than that, but since US cablecos are only required to provide locals unencrypted, those are all you can count on.

Another option is to use a PC video capture device to record from the cable box's composite video out, S-Video put or component out and stereo audio out. With appropriate software, the PC can change the channel using a IR receiver equipped with an IR blaster. However since cableboxes only have one tuner, you can only watch or record one channel at a time with this method.

If you have a version of Windows 7 that includes Media Center, you may be able to install a CableCARD tuner. These take a rented CableCARD from your cable company. They will also insist on installing the CableCARD, which requires a service call from a qualified cable technician. A version of Vista with Media Center can also use a CableCARD tuner, but unless you have a certified media center PC, getting it up and running is not easy.

CableCARD tuners can't access on-demand or other interactve functions, but would allow you to watch and record. ATI made a single-tuner model but has discontinued it. You would have to buy a used one on ebay, and the going price is about $200. SiliconDust is supposed to release a dual tuner model at the end of this year to sell for around $250. Ceton is reportedly going to release a 4 tuner model soon, retailing for about $400.

To use a PC as a PVR with a QAM or CableCARD tuner may require adding a cable amplifier as well as an additional split for the cable outlet in the room. If you want to use the PC with a TV, look at the video card, audio out and the TV to make sure you have useable audio and video connections for the TV. You will also need an internet connection to get the program guide for the PVR software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Aug 2010 at 16:33. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote