VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

Our family own a service station which has been broken into twice now. All of it was caught on CCTV.
    The police are asking for the video footage as files they can watch on their computer. Now my Dad burnt a CD off at work from the actual camera unit itself. It seems to have included a little viewer app. THE ONLY pc i can see these videos on is this computer i am on now (which is my home one) and i have no idea why! Because other computers it comes up with 'invalid format' or something. This does have different codecs on it to other pcs but i just dont know what codec it is requiring!

The viewer that it has automatically burnt to disc isnt fantastic and i am unable to zoom in to the footage.
    Is there any software or what codecs would be required to watch this footage on other pcs?
    The file format ends in '.DSF' and i htink the app on the CD is called 1ch Mono Viewer or something. Can anyone suggest a better viewer for this footage or codecs required in order to view this footage? (on other pcs?)

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Based upon the questions I've seen about security cameras and other such hardware here on VH, the manufacturers seem to want to have the video handled in proprietary ways (could be to prevent tampering with the video footage - but it could also be to insure you'll have to go through them to be able to do anything with the footage).

You might check the website for the manufacturer(s) of the CCTV and see if they have any tools to help process the video or even a better viewer, but you may be stuck with the viewer that was already added to the disc. It probably wouldn't hurt to try running the videos through MediaInfo, and see if that can detect anything about the footage - but even if it were encoded in, say, an AVI container, it'd probably still use proprietary video/audio codecs.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote