VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi and nice to meet you. I'm having a problem with two of a friend's VHS old 90's TV Recordings. It looks like this:

it is noted as a Long Play recording in its tag. VCR is fine, other tapes play well:

I took the other one of the two to a video expert, he did something to it and he played it with the quality of the second snapshot. Does anyone know anything? Does it have to do something with being recorded in LP?
    Last edited by Hackerpcs; 3rd Aug 2010 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, many later-model VCRs abandoned the LP (long play) speed, allowing only SP (standard play) and EP (extended play; also known as SLP or super long play). In those machines, LP tapes played wacky; not only with bad tracking, but off speed.

A still shot does not tell us whether you merely have a tracking problem, or are trying to play an LP tape in a machine that does not play at the LP speed.

Make sure the VCR actually does play LP tapes, and if so, then adjust your tracking control. That's about all the advice we can give.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Given the chroma noise and softness in the "good" images, I'm not sure I could call that person an "expert".
    Advanced novice, maybe.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. filmboss80 my VCR model is a friend's old Samsung FM 601. It has a repair 1998 sign on it so it should have LP logically. Do you want a sample? Noise and interlacing fixed or straight from VirtualDub?

lordsmurf the above images are from me taken from Huffyuv video in Vdub with no filters. Don't be a quick judger, he is a photographer since late 1970, the oldest in our area.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you very much both of you, it was a tracking problem:

[offtopic]
    This is game is historic for Panathinaikos, it's against Buckler Bologna in 1995 for European Championship Final Four.
    [/offtopic]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chroma noise is something that should be fixed in hardware. All software does is sort of blur it out temporally. Once chroma noise is embedded into a digitized version, you cannot "remove" it. At best, you can try to hide it.

But I see what you're saying. The bottom sample was from your VCR with another tape. Got it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. StaxRip have a noise filter and thought it fixes it (never tried it before). Tried it with a 1984 tape and it doesn't do any difference.

Yeah, botton snapshot was with a 1992 tape and top 1995.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Chroma noise is something that should be fixed in hardware. All software does is sort of blur it out temporally. Once chroma noise is embedded into a digitized version, you cannot "remove" it. At best, you can try to hide it.
    Oh come on! If it's radical hue errors, or noise due to hardware faults/inadequacy, then I agree - fix the hardware. But noise (plain and simple noise; luma or chroma; as present on the tape when played as well as it can be) can be far better removed in software than in any hardware available to the amateur or semi-pro.

It looks like the chroma needs moving up and right a few lines/pixels too - a task trivially done in software (or the right hardware!).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote