VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which is the best and simplest way to add a watermark to a DVD?

I produced/directed a documentary which I will now be sending to several film festivals around the world. So I would like to add my production company's name on the DVD's screen in a non-invasive way.

Of course the final copy, after selection, would not have any marks on it.

How can I do that?

Carlos
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It will need to be re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It will need to be re-encoded.
    OK. I have the m2v files to start from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you know how to frameserve out of VirtualDub to an encoder like TmpgEnc then I'd recommend VirtualDub. People here seem to mention PNG files as being better than JPEG or Bitmap images for watermarks. AviDemux also has a built-in logo plugin AND AviDemux can output directly to MPEG on it's own(use the MPEG-PS output option).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did you edit the original documentary? Use that same software to key your logo. Or, as an option, make your watermark a subtitle text. It won't be embedded into the actual movie, but at least you won't need to re-encode the m2v file.

Better yet--if all the footage and project files are still in the editing computer, you can just output the movie again, this time with your logo added. If the m2v file is all you have, virtually any video editing software is capable of keying a logo.

There are lots of options, but we cannot offer specific instructions until we know what materials are still at your disposal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If you know how to frameserve out of VirtualDub to an encoder like TmpgEnc then I'd recommend VirtualDub. People here seem to mention PNG files as being better than JPEG or Bitmap images for watermarks. AviDemux also has a built-in logo plugin AND AviDemux can output directly to MPEG on it's own(use the MPEG-PS output option).

I don't know how to use frameserve, even if I have both programs. I also have Avidemux, but I could never master how to use it. Any tutorial to turn to?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    How did you edit the original documentary? Use that same software to key your logo. Or, as an option, make your watermark a subtitle text. It won't be embedded into the actual movie, but at least you won't need to re-encode the m2v file.

Better yet--if all the footage and project files are still in the editing computer, you can just output the movie again, this time with your logo added. If the m2v file is all you have, virtually any video editing software is capable of keying a logo.

There are lots of options, but we cannot offer specific instructions until we know what materials are still at your disposal.
    This was edited in Avid Media Composer, and I don't want to go over the export process again for this logo.

I wouldn't mind if there was a slight deterioration on this DVD with watermark, as that would diminish the chances of it being used for unauthorized broadcasting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could also use avisynth and overlay a semi transparent logo. I know from previous threads you know how to use avisynth , dgindex, hcenc etc...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    This was edited in Avid Media Composer, and I don't want to go over the export process again for this logo.
    If all of the assets are still loaded in the editor's computer, it would require very little effort to export a new m2v file with the logo. Of course, if you have to reload footage and such, it would not be worth it.

Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    I wouldn't mind if there was a slight deterioration on this DVD with watermark, as that would diminish the chances of it being used for unauthorized broadcasting.
    Just make sure you think like a film festival judge before you submit. You'll be throwing away entry-fee money if you don't put your best foot forward.

Also keep a realistic view about watermarks. If people really want to copy your work, they will (blurring out the logo bug), regardless.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote