VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem described by dlarry in2007
    dlarry posted 2007 Mar 15 14:34 A few years ago, my Panasonic VHS-C camcorder started creating tapes with a couple of noise bars on them. Over the next few months, the number of bars continued to grow until the resulting playback through the viewfinder was quite unwatchable.

At about this point, I attempted to use manual tracking to correct the bars using various VCR's (and the camcorder itself) to no avail and realized I had a serious problem. I stopped using the camcorder.

Manual tracking will move the bars a little to reveal viewable content underneath, but the tracking controls will not move the bars out of view. While I cycle the tracking through its entire range, additional noise will appear from top to bottom and then disappear, but the original bars will remain.

These tapes contain some family memories I would really like to recover to a digital format and would be willing to commit some resources to get the job done. Are any of the following options I could reasonably pursue?

1. Find and purchase a VCR with greater tracking range
    2. Tracking is not the issue, try this instead.
    3. Digitize the bad video and clean it up in post-production (dubious)
    4. Hire a professional to recover the video with advanced equipment/techniques.
    lordsmurf replied

lordsmurf
    posted 2007 Mar 15 15:02 1. may or may not help, you'll have to do lots of testings.
    2. if it's not tracking or a related issue, your tape is simply flawed and likely cannot be fixed.
    3. is not going to happen, period.
    4. is easy, surefire solution. But use a good service, be careful, most services are crap.
    My question re: answer 4 can you recommend a good service? Preferably in the Miami Florida area but if not anywhere I could mail the tape to.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My initial guess is that the magnetic layer is flaking off from the tape, both clogging playback heads and stripping off video information from the tape itself. Both the age of the tape and the horrible tension of that little VHS-C converter cartridge make it almost a lost cause. (When it was created, I pleaded with friends not to buy that ultra-crappy format. VHS-C was no good from the onset.)

If these are precious family memories, you will need to seek out a service like the one here: www.specsbros.com.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tape is ok, I filmed some stuff after the problem area and was able to adjust the tracking just fine. But thanks for the tip re. specsbros.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first issue is getting the tapes into the hands of somebody that can find the problem.
    I can isolate most problems, even if I can't fix everything.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote