VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When importing FLV files to Virtualdub using the FLV import plugin, and then saving them as AVI using Direct Stream Copy, I have noticed that the AVI video seems slightly degraded in quality compared to the FLV when I play both in my preferred FLV player program, FLVPlayer4Free. I might be imagining the difference, but I don't think so.

FLVPlayer4Free (which can also play other formats, not just FLV) has a smoothing option and I wondered if that was the reason for the difference, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, whether it's off or on, for either format. The FLV still looks better than the AVI.

I was under the impression that the FLV Input Plugin lets you open a FLV file and save it as AVI with no loss in quality. Is that correct or not?

Or does FLVPlayer4Free simply have a codec that makes FLVs look better than AVIs?

Or is FLV simply a better looking format than AVI?

I didn't notice the difference when I played both files in other programs but I'm not sure I scrutinized the outputs as carefully.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you use direct stream copy no conversion is done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    If you use direct stream copy no conversion is done.
    In VirtualDub? From FLV input?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ask gumbygum:

Why not just keep the original flv?

I mean, is there some reason that you want or need to convert to avi??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gumbygum View Post
    I was under the impression that the FLV Input Plugin lets you open a FLV file and save it as AVI with no loss in quality. Is that correct or not?
    I don't think that you can use the same codec in an AVI file, so there is a conversion and thus a quality loss.
    (EDIT: from following post appears I was wrong about this.)

I think you can losslessly repackage it as mp4 though.

VirtualDub is good for AVI files, but other formats are a bit if hack.
    Avidemux might be better.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 1st Aug 2010 at 12:40.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just remuxed an FLV with VP6 encoded video to AVI with VirtualDub. It worked fine. You do need to have a VFW decoder installed so VirtualDub can display the video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Aug 2010 at 09:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by video_magic View Post
    Ask gumbygum:

Why not just keep the original flv?

I mean, is there some reason that you want or need to convert to avi??
    Because I'm having so much difficulty finding a program that can edit FLVs easily and losslessly without creating audio sync and other problems. I thought maybe it would be easier to edit them if they were AVIs.

I've monkeyed around with both Virtualdub and Avidemux as well as other programs and all the programs I've tried suck at editing FLVs.

But I don't wanna lose any quality so I want to convert and edit losslessly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep....editing FLV files does suck. I've tried the FLV plugin for Virtualdub at least twice with no luck. I think I recall using Super to convert FLV files to something else once or twice. I just don't edit FLV files anymore....not worth the hassle.
    Quote Quote